Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Gary Chambliss

RVF Newbee
I am new to the forum and sorta a newbie in the RV world.
We are planning a trip to Gatlinburg TN. My question is if we experience road conditions that warrant snow chains, do you recommend installing chains on the front wheels?
I have a 41' class A diesel pusher and will be towing a car on a trailer.

Welcome to RVForums @Gary Chambliss. I don't think chains on the front would do any good as your drive axle is aft. I would advise avoiding such conditions by hunkering down at a campground until roads are clear or consider alternate plans or drive carefully. I had to do some 40ft MH driving in snow last winter at Grand Canyon and other norther AZ areas, just had to go slow and be very careful, engine brake off, etc.

@Neal is spot on; avoid those conditions if at all possible. If you get caught in snow, @Neal has it right there too; go slowly and safely. If I were to carry traction devices in my coach, it would be these: https://autosock.us/

TJ

@Gary Chambliss If you are going to be traveling where chains may be required you may want to consider a set of these. https://autosock.us/

I don't have them but If I were going to be in that environment I think I would go for these vs chains. They are pricey but appear to be an easy install and for sure would be a better ride & less possibility of damage to the coach.

The autosock was suggested to me last year prior to my heading to northern AZ. I did a lot of research and didn't like what I read so I opted not to get them. I suggest doing your own research and see what you determine.

The autosock was suggested to me last year prior to my heading to northern AZ. I did a lot of research and didn't like what I read so I opted not to get them. I suggest doing your own research and see what you determine.
What was it that you didn't like? In my research, I didn't find anything that concerned me. They are light and easy to store in the RV. Oh...wait a minute...you may be thinking about something involved with putting them on or driving with them on. I have no plans for that; just in having something to satisfy the checkpoint cop that asks if I have "traction devices" on board. :rolleyes: ;) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TJ

Concerns with traction, i.e. they get clogged and then it's a slick surface. I think the integrity of them holding up. I don't remember all, it was a year ago.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back