RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
44'
TOW/TOAD
JL Wrangler
Don't shoot me, I did search. But here is my scenario.

Every time I have viewed the coach it has been cool. They have had the Oasis on with diesel power. Coach has been nice and warm.

I brought it home yesterday. 3 hour drive. Parked it at 3 and went back at 545. I turned on the AC1 and set the unit to furnace. I had heat immediately until I started to play with the water. The tank read 15% so I thought I would flush the antifreeze out with what was in the tank. I assume the tank gauge was a little off, and I started to get air. So I just shut the pump off and the water. Almost immediately I lost heat and blower from the oasis system. I turned on the heat pump and went about my playing around.

This morning I filled the fresh water to around 35% and flushed out all of the antifreeze. I went back in to my storage and plugged into 50A. I turned the AC1 on and had no heat and no blower. I did have warm water, but I had the engine running around 20 minutes while I filled and flushed the fresh water system. So the warm water could have been from the engine.

I tried AC1, AC2, even diesel. I turned it all off, and back on. Even hit the reset. I ran the bypass pump on the oasis box to purge any air...The system did sound like it had air in it, but nothing changed... No heat, no blower motor. At times the combustion fan would come on, but never would it blow heat.

I left it alone for around 25 minutes with the settings still on furnace, and the system on AC2, and it just came on. I had heat and blower. I let it run about 30 minutes, but I had to leave so I shut it back off.

My question is, last night draining the water really should not have killed the heat as I understand it uses its own coolant to take to the heat exchangers. And if it is so "instant" hot, then why a 25 minute delay this morning to start working... First day jitters?? Or is there something I am missing.

We don't really use the coach where its cool. But since this is my hot water too, I want to make sure this sucker is working correctly.

Thanks to all, and sorry for a new guy question.

21 Dutch Star 4310

Mike

Just to be clear, was the coach plugged in while you were parked at your house? You need AC power in order to power the electric heating elements (AC1 and AC2) of the Oasis system. The Oasis transfer fluid needs to be at a specific temperature in order for the heat blower motors to run. I’m wondering if perhaps the transfer fluid was hot enough from the drive home, but after running the heat and/or hot water the fluid was no longer hot enough for the blower motors to run.

Also, when you plugged the coach back in at the storage place, it will take time for the heating elements to sufficiently heat the transfer fluid to have heat. Turning on the diesel burner will heat the fluid much faster (5x).

I agree with @flyboy013. AC1 alone is insufficient for furnace operation. My manual states that the burner is the primary heat source supplemented by AC1 and AC2.

Just to be clear, was the coach plugged in while you were parked at your house? You need AC power in order to power the electric heating elements (AC1 and AC2) of the Oasis system. The Oasis transfer fluid needs to be at a specific temperature in order for the heat blower motors to run. I’m wondering if perhaps the transfer fluid was hot enough from the drive home, but after running the heat and/or hot water the fluid was no longer hot enough for the blower motors to run.

Also, when you plugged the coach back in at the storage place, it will take time for the heating elements to sufficiently heat the transfer fluid to have heat. Turning on the diesel burner will heat the fluid much faster (5x).

I do have 50 amp at my storage yes. It was plugged in when I ran the above scenario.
I agree with @flyboy013. AC1 alone is insufficient for furnace operation. My manual states that the burner is the primary heat source supplemented by AC1 and AC2.

Ok, so I did power up the diesel heat for a short period. I think I just expected heat the second I flipped the switch. Clearly not the case.

What do you guys see as the time delay between heating the fluid and the blowers kicking on?

I do have 50 amp at my storage yes. It was plugged in when I ran the above scenario.

Understand, but was it plugged in when you had the coached parked at home? The Oasis electric heating elements will not operate unless you have AC power (shore or generator).

What do you guys see as the time delay between heating the fluid and the blowers kicking on?

While I’ve never measured it, if my system was cold (ie Oasis system has been off) I would expect that it would take up to a half hour or so for the electric heating elements (AC1 & AC2) to heat the transfer fluid to a sufficient temperature to heat the coach or take a hot shower. If you use the burner it may take 5 minutes or so.

Understand, but was it plugged in when you had the coached parked at home? The Oasis electric heating elements will not operate unless you have AC power (shore or generator).

While I’ve never measured it, if my system was cold (ie Oasis system has been off) I would expect that it would take up to a half hour or so for the electric heating elements (AC1 & AC2) to heat the transfer fluid to a sufficient temperature to heat the coach or take a hot shower. If you use the burner it may take 5 minutes or so.

The coach has not, not been plugged in.

I think the system had just enough heat to operate last night on AC1. When I pulled the water from the system, it tried to heat that and put the system below minimum temp. Thus shutting down the blower.

I never gave it a chance to get up to temp. I turned on the heat pumps.

This morning, I just assumed that AC1and2 would give me INSTANT warm air and heat, and clearly that was not the case. I guess I thought the system worked more like an instant on water heater and would do the same for coach heat as well.

In a nutshell, it sounds like the system is working. I just need to learn how to operate it.

Thank you to all!

I will be back with more questions I am sure of it, lol.

Mike

Latest resources

Back