Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rodney Metrejean

RVF Regular
Just retired and started camping. Made 5 trips so far, total of 1295 miles. We have a 2020 Highland Ridge Mesa Ridge Limited Travel Trailer (34 ft) pulled behind a 2019 Ram 3500 Big Horn Dually. Had our first blowout on Thursday 08/19/21. I've attached 2 pictures. One is the blown tire, the other is the opposite side of the trailer, same axle (rear). I've done a ton of research and it seems that Goodyear Endurance Tires would be one of the best choices, however, they appear to be unavailable. I ordered two of them from the Walmart in McComb Ms, got an email that they would be ready for 8 oclock yesterday morning, and had also scheduled an appointment to have them installed. After an hour drive, a 45 minute wait in the store, they told me that it was a Walmart.com mistake that they didn't have the tires. Got a couple of emails in the store cancelling my install appt. 1st, then a 2nd one a few minutes later cancelling the tire order (even though the website showed 4 available at the McComb Ms. Store.) I've looked on other websites and find long delivery for these tires, up to 02/22. Can I get some advice on other tires that would be equally good. PLEASE, DO NOT RECOMMEND CASTLE ROCK. 1300 miles life is unacceptable. Look closely at the unblown tire, bottom left center side of the pic. There is a small hole (5/16" dia) there with belt exposed that is the beginning of the next failure.
Please help. And YES, I do a walk around inspection before each pull, and check tire pressure. I cant help it. 30 years as a Mechanical Engineer. What I havent done yet, but will before the next trip is get a TPMS. Even though it wont help much with a blowout, the real time monitor should alarm and at least I will know I"ve lost a tire.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
rpm

Attachments

• 20210820_113904.jpg
    20210820_113904.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • Inked20210821_131402_LI.jpg
    Inked20210821_131402_LI.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 24
I had Carlisle on an equipment trailer, & they were pure junk.

Last edited:
I can’t recommend a particular tire but I do have a few recommendations that hopefully will help.

1. I know you said you check your pressure, but do you also check your weights? The pressure you should use is not necessarily what is printed on the sidewalll, but should be pressure associated with the load it is carrying. if you’re overloaded, you need to lose weight. Changing to a higher rated tire will help with blowouts but it will do nothing for your frame and axles.

2. Install a TPMS ASAP. It can absolutely help you prevent a blowout, especially one that monitors temp as well as pressure. You should get early warnings of temperature and pressure increase beyond a set threshold, which should be your signal to get off the gas and stop at the first safe pullout.

2x on a TPMS, I've used Carlisle and Sailun S637's on 5th wheels.

Just retired and started camping. Made 5 trips so far, total of 1295 miles. We have a 2020 Highland Ridge Mesa Ridge Limited Travel Trailer (34 ft) pulled behind a 2019 Ram 3500 Big Horn Dually. Had our first blowout on Thursday 08/19/21. I've attached 2 pictures. One is the blown tire, the other is the opposite side of the trailer, same axle (rear). I've done a ton of research and it seems that Goodyear Endurance Tires would be one of the best choices, however, they appear to be unavailable. I ordered two of them from the Walmart in McComb Ms, got an email that they would be ready for 8 oclock yesterday morning, and had also scheduled an appointment to have them installed. After an hour drive, a 45 minute wait in the store, they told me that it was a Walmart.com mistake that they didn't have the tires. Got a couple of emails in the store cancelling my install appt. 1st, then a 2nd one a few minutes later cancelling the tire order (even though the website showed 4 available at the McComb Ms. Store.) I've looked on other websites and find long delivery for these tires, up to 02/22. Can I get some advice on other tires that would be equally good. PLEASE, DO NOT RECOMMEND CASTLE ROCK. 1300 miles life is unacceptable. Look closely at the unblown tire, bottom left center side of the pic. There is a small hole (5/16" dia) there with belt exposed that is the beginning of the next failure.
Please help. And YES, I do a walk around inspection before each pull, and check tire pressure. I cant help it. 30 years as a Mechanical Engineer. What I havent done yet, but will before the next trip is get a TPMS. Even though it wont help much with a blowout, the real time monitor should alarm and at least I will know I"ve lost a tire.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
rpm
Do not go to an LT tire stick with an ST tire. If anything, go up one load range. If you are already blowing tires, I’d bet you are very close to the max weight of your tires. Trailer companies are nortorious for putting on axles and tires that are barely enough capacity. ST tires have stronger sidewalls than LT tires.

Look at the weight of your rig loaded and see how that compares to the weight rating on the tires. Each tire times the number of tires, I’m guessing you have a tandem axle. You may be very close to the max weight on the tires. You may need to step up to a higher rating tire. I had trouble on a fifth wheel years back and went from an E to a G tire and never had another problem. It was recommended by fellow camper to do this and it help us out. No matter what type tire I put on the rig, we had blow outs. The G tire stopped it. If you have D rated tires I would go to an E, if E go to G. The manufacturer puts a tire on the rigs just to get by. That’s it. Take a close look.

Latest resources

Back