Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dpsmith

RVF Newbee
Hi there! I'm an odd newbie in that I have no RV experience. At all. I found myself considering and becoming obsessed with fifth wheelers as an affordable alternative for full-time living in one location (to be near my grandson). I just found this forum and have a lot to explore and learn. I've already learned about "four season" RVs thanks to you brilliant folk.

But here's my first question: Is there a downside to a fifth wheeler staying in one location versus being driven? I understand there would be a need for significant upkeep when being driven but I'm not sure what is different about a fifth wheeler from any other trailer/manufactured home when it comes to normal home maintenance issues. Are there differences? If I'm staying in one location I would likely having tires removed and/or skirting installed (I grew up in a mobile/manufactured home so I understand those plumbing issues during cold weather.

Speaking of maintenance, when living in one of these full-time, are there people who come to your location to service the RVs? Would local RV sales locations be the way to find such people?

So I now know to search for four season, full-time fifth wheel camper options, and I'll also be looking for ones that are more conducive to making changes. For example, I have no need for bunk beds and I see a lot have those, but I do need a very small workspace area.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Nice to "meet" you! :)

Have you considered a park model?
Mobile RV services are available, depending on location. Like everyone else in today's environment, they don't have enough help & parts availability can be an issue.
Good luck in you search.

Have you considered a park model?
Mobile RV services are available, depending on location. Like everyone else in today's environment, they don't have enough help & parts availability can be an issue.
Good luck in you search.

Never even heard the term before now. Going to explore - thanks for the suggestion! :)

Good luck on your search. Lots of good information here.

Latest resources

Back