Winnebago Itasca
RV Model
Sunova
RV Length
35 foot
TOW/TOAD
2015 Willy's Jeep
We had a 2015 Willy's that We flat towed a few times and
it worked fine. I installed the base plate and wiring myself. We have since upgraded two a 2022 four door Sahara. Here's where it gets interesting. The new one has no trailer hitch and of coarse no base plate. But it sure is pretty, We took fashion over function. Has anybody put both aftermarket bumpers on to gain both towing and being towed ? And then comes the tail light hook up. Pig tails for the trailer lights and then pig tails for the towing lights. Help!!!

We had a 2015 Willy's that We flat towed a few times and
it worked fine. I installed the base plate and wiring myself. We have since upgraded two a 2022 four door Sahara. Here's where it gets interesting. The new one has no trailer hitch and of coarse no base plate. But it sure is pretty, We took fashion over function. Has anybody put both aftermarket bumpers on to gain both towing and being towed ? And then comes the tail light hook up. Pig tails for the trailer lights and then pig tails for the towing lights. Help!!!
I just did a quick google. Blue Ox has a baseplate that fits without having to use an AM Bumper. Curtis sells a class 3 two inch receiver Trailer Hitch that works with a factory bumper as well as towed and towing wiring harness kits complete with diodes. I installed my own Baseplate on my 2018 JK (early 18s were JKs later ones JLs) and it was pretty easy. What are your plans for braking?

Darrell

If you put an after-market bumper, don't go cheap. I installed Blue Ox baseplates on my 2005 TJ, 2015 JKU, and 2018 JKU. I also used the diode lighting system on all 3.

Please use a supplemental braking system or that heavy Sahari will be pushing you when you want to be stopping.

I have a brake buddy and road master tow set up on the shelf. Mostly the two pigtail set is concerning me.

Please use a supplemental braking system or that heavy Sahari will be pushing you when you want to be stopping.
Very good advice... My 2022 4 door Jeep Wrangler weighed 4,600 lbs on the CAT Scale. I have the Air Force One braking system and it has worked out well. I can't imagine flat towing without a supplemental braking system and with a breakaway system as well. I have come across individuals that flat tow without a supplemental braking system and without a breakaway system.

We had our Cherokee wired for a toad. The wiring harness they used had an additional 4 pin connector for the light bar I added to the bike rack.

We used the stay and play braking system so I could control the level of surge before the jeep brakes come on. It isn’t going to help stop 38k much anyway - more for breakaway than anything else.

We use that when it is a toad and the normal jeep wiring when not a toad.

May want to look into the factory wiring for the hitch.

I have a brake buddy and road master tow set up on the shelf. Mostly the two pigtail set is concerning me.
I did mine easy peasy. I got both from Curtis I believe. The towed system plugs into the left T/Light on the Jeep as does the trailer harness. I don't tow a trailer but I have a bicycle carrier that is "lit" because I have a cover for the bikes when traveling, thus it blocks out the Jeeps Tail Lights. Everything works fine towing the Jeep or just driving the Jeep with the carrier.

Pic of my lit bike carrier (did not come with the lights. I had to add my self).

Darrell

Attachments

• 07 01 October 13 Thule Carrier with bikes..JPG
    07 01 October 13 Thule Carrier with bikes..JPG
    794.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest resources

Back