Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RedOctober82

RVF Regular
Hello everyone, we are brand new to the RV world. Picking up a Jayco SLX-7 174BH from Indiana this weekend.

Figured it's a good time to do it, kids have 4 days off from school, packing the family for this turnaround trip.

This is our first RV, moving up from a tent. I need some guidance on must have tools, accessories, hacks etc.

Towing with 2016 X5 40e (6,000 tow capacity), regular ball hitch, trailer weighs 3,160 per build sheet. I ordered a Curt wireless break controller, just arrived this afternoon. Also picking up tow mirrors "clip ons" and wheel chocks later today.

Drinking water house 25' ordered. I think I can just use a few gallon jugs for this trip.

Leaving tomorrow (Southern California), any last second items I need for a safe trip? We will sleep inside on the stops back home, no camping, need to get home fast, kids going back to school on Tuesday.

.The only thing I have towed up to this point is a 4'x8' utility trailer.

Thank you for any input or suggestions.

-Dennis

You dry camping or full hook-up?

A logical stop on the way home would be Oklahoma, Kansas, or Texas. It is currently very cold and is supposed to outrageously cold this weekend, along with predictions of significant snow and/or ice. Plan for the weather and be prepared to extend the trip if the roads are hazardous.

You dry camping or full hook-up?
Primarily planning on dry camping. I'm guessing later in the summer we will do more full hookup or at least with electrify for the a/c. Most of the RV sites I've seen seem very crowded. Our main reason for the RV is too extend our camping season into the winter (CA winter). Took the family to Bishop last year, everyone one was freezing cold in the tent when it hit 30's at night, wife and the baby ended up sleeping in the car.

I want to kids to enjoy the outdoors and hopping the RV can make it more enjoyable experience for them.

A logical stop on the way home would be Oklahoma, Kansas, or Texas. It is currently very cold and is supposed to outrageously cold this weekend, along with predictions of significant snow and/or ice. Plan for the weather and be prepared to extend the trip if the roads are hazardous.
Thank you for pointing it out. Just checked Indiana, did not realize it's gets that cold anywhere south of Alaska. It's shows 10° on Sunday and 13° on Monday. Hopefully all goes as planned and Saturday afternoon we will be heading back home.

That Jayco has a lp furnace so we will be running it during the stops.

I will definitely be routing us through the southern states as much as possible.

I picked the mirrors and wheel chocks today.

I am currently camping outside Jackson, MS. The forecast for this wkd is temps down into the 20’s & Monday night into the teens w/70% chance of “winter guy mix. Y’all be careful! Even a southern route will have additional challenges this wkd.

Forgot to add something. Our BMW only has a 4 flat connector for our 4x8 utility trailer. I just picked a 7 pin adapter by Hopkins. I just plug the 4 pin into the adapter then need to contact 4 wires (power, breaks, back up light and ground).

Since I have a wireless break controller. I am planning on connecting only the power and ground. Don't want to mess with finding/tapping into back up lights tomorrow before the trip. Any issues with that? Don't plan to be backing up on this trip, and if I do, I will jump out and visually clear it first.

I'll tie the ground wire to the same bolt as ground from 4 flat harness. Power is easy as both 12v batteries are under the cargo compartment in the back.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Yes temperatures in the Midwest get quite cold and even into the south with the jetstream sometimes dipping down.

A WHD would be in order for sure and it you are dry camping I would say Walmart parking lots along the way back or find some cheaper camp grounds along a route you plan out.

Oh, forget the tow capacity, what is your payload capacity? That is very critical. Not sure what a X5 is but seems possibly a small SUV maybe??? Try to avoid mountainous routes as smaller SUV’s brakes I do not think will handle steep descents too well.

I could be off base on my assessment but without researching exactly your tow vehicle and trailer for spec’s I am going on what I believe on the surface.

Looked up the trailer spec’s and the dry hitch weight is listed at 300 lbs. Now that is dry without propane nor any loaded weight on the trailer what so ever. I say add another 100 lbs. to that and use that as a start point. So the 300 comes to a 400 lb load to subtract from your payload.

So an X5 is a Beemer! The payload rating of a 2021 was between 1229 to just over 1300 lbs. Let’s use 1300 for easy math. Subtract the 400 from that and you have 900 lbs to dilly with. Take the weight of all occupants and gear on the X5 to include weight of full tank of gas as well and subtract to see if you are still in the positive. For instance, water per gallon is around 8 lbs. Not sure the X5 gas tank size but let’s say 20 gallons. Gas roughly is 6.3 lbs per gallon so that comes to 126 lbs. of payload.

900 - 126= 774 lbs to now have on stand by.

Well, you get the idea. Do the math and see the end resultant and voila, you have your answer to safety in the numbers.

Thank you for info. We made it home safely Tuesday morning. First day tepms dropped to -4F and dropped as low as -15F while coming back through Kansas.

Took northern route, Col, Neb to In. Saw 2 dozen vehicles in ditches/center median including 2 semis, 2 travel trailer and a boat trailer. Took the southern route home, was much colder and slower.

Love the trailer, we slept only 1 night in it (-15F outside, took 30 min to warm up). Could not get heater working the first night. Not sure why but apparently I have to pull and reinstall the heater fuse every time after I turn the gas on, otherwise the heater won't kick ok.

Now I need to pour a concrete pad next to my driveway and park the trailer on the side of the house.

Latest resources

Back