Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kathie

RVF Newbee
My husband and I are thinking of retiring in a couple of years and purchasing a Class C RV and traveling for the months of Feb and Mar every year. Since it is colder we we live we would like to go somewhere warmer for those two months. We were wondering if anyone does something like this. What is an average cost of a campground for those two months? What kind of unexpected costs will we run into? How is the internet at campgrounds, would I be able to work part time? Do camp grounds have activities like pickleball?

Yes, there are lots of us that do something like that including living in our RVs year around. Average cost per month is something that can be anywhere from about $350 to well over $800. Unexpected costs are usually break downs and possible medical issues. Most of the time internet is mildly OK, but sometimes it will be slow to non existent. If you want decent WIFI you will probably want a MIFI or something similar. If you can work from your camper you can work as much or as little as you decide, and yes under normal times some campgrounds have a lot of activities.

My husband and I are thinking of retiring in a couple of years and purchasing a Class C RV and traveling for the months of Feb and Mar every year. Since it is colder we we live we would like to go somewhere warmer for those two months. We were wondering if anyone does something like this. What is an average cost of a campground for those two months? What kind of unexpected costs will we run into? How is the internet at campgrounds, would I be able to work part time? Do camp grounds have activities like pickleball?
We do it in reverse! We live in Florida and go up north or out west in the summer months. Cost is less that what you will normally spend when at home, excluding the motorhome. It's now end of April and I am frothing at the bit to get going but the MH is in the shop for warranty work. As soon as it's free we are heading out. Good travels!

I think that when they can do it the whole of Canada heads south for the winter. My observation of course comes from the numbers in Yuma during the winter months and the license plates.

On average the size of Yuma AZ triples in winter months. Where Quartzite AZ the population is 10 to 20 times it's size in winter months.

You are not alone with those plans.

Same in Florida, the population grows in the winter and goes down in summer. The summer heat can be intense to best to leave and go north. I live in FL full time and head north in summer in MH.

From what I've gathered in the last 3 months of full timing which just happens to be my first 3 months also :) is, it depends. Where do you want to go? What kind of "neighbors" do you want? I haven't been to Florida or Arizona yet but I can't imagine it'd be much different. I've paid as much as $64/night (my personal limit) to only paying $115/wk. I've had an awesome corner lot with a huge front yard, porch, bench and fire pit to being so close to my neighbor that awnings can't be put out.

Unexpected expenses I've encountered so far, knock on wood, was just a crazy crazy winter. Which required a heated hose, a hillbilly skirt and a Mr Heater for keeping lines thawed. Oh and I had to replace two breakers because I accidentally overloaded one by plugging in a ice maker to an outlet that happened to run off the same breaker as the electric fireplace. Oops. Easy fix though, just the cost of two new breakers.

I've never had a problem with internet. But again that's a personal preference. I won't stay somewhere I can't use the internet. I have God awful insomnia and need an outlet in the wee hours of the morning. I use my phone to hotspot tv when there's nothing available through my antenna.

Your personal preference of lifestyle will determine your expenses. Just have a good credit card or two for the unexpected and good insurance. You'll be fine.

Start researching rv parks now in areas you want to visit. Google maps is as good as anything.

Happy travels!

Latest resources

Back