Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Justjusty45

RVF Newbee
Hi all- my husband and I just bought a 5,200 lb dry weight camper trailer. my FIL said we can borrow his truck, but we know we rather have our own vehicle for the long term.. we currently have a Chevy traverse so we know the weight is a bit risky. Anyone have suggestions on type of trucks/SUV’s that would be ok to tow? We also have two kids.

First, welcome aboard. As to towing a TT that weight which is light but you always want more truck than you need. Plus, this is the candy before the purchase of a larger one I promise. So here is my suggestion, buy at least a 3/4 ton. Not sure your manufacturer preference but each are very similar in most aspects to a degree. You have the Chevy folk, Dodge folk and Ford folk.

Start thinking on if you could have any camper (TT or 5’er), which would I get??? Then base your truck with tow capacity and payload as well as suspension on that. Then, if you never do get that dream camper, you at least have the truck that will easily tow it. Just my two cents.

In this bananas car and RV market, I am not sure i would suggest out trucking by as wide a margin as possible. Not that it’s bad advice, generally that is what you want to do but this market has prices so high on trucks and RVs that in a year or two, you would likely find yourself underwater on those items unless you were paying cash, but even then it is money that doesn’t correspond to the actual value in normal times.

Most modern 1500/150 series trucks would tow that just fine. In many cases, buying a 3/4 ton truck would be probably make sure you have the right truck for the next RV, but in all likelihood by the time you are getting your next unit, prices on 3/4 ton trucks will have come back down from the stratosphere and those trucks will actually be available to purchase.

So in this market, I would recommend matching your trucks capabilities to your current needs. 2-3 years from now, the used market will be flooded with lightly used RVs that people shouldn’t have bought and trucks will be in supply and prices back to normal.

For a 5,500lb towable that is dry - plus at most, a generous 4,000lbs of carrying capacity - that’s 1500/150 with a towing package territory.

Last edited:
That is about the same weight as our travel trailer. I pull ours with Ford F-150 Ecoboost engine with a Max tow Package. Come with a lot of extra tow equipment. If you shop for one like mine make sure it has the Max tow package. Skipper

Latest resources

Back