Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kaustinshort

RVF Newbee
My wife and I are new to RVing. We purchased a Coachmen Pursuit in June of 2020. Traveled west to see the grandchildren in a covid safe environment.
Hope to find out more about car tow dollies. We rented from UHaul but now may be in line to purchase in the future. Just wanted to pick fellow RV's brains.

Welcome from Georgia!

My wife and I are new to RVing. We purchased a Coachmen Pursuit in June of 2020. Traveled west to see the grandchildren in a covid safe environment.
Hope to find out more about car tow dollies. We rented from UHaul but now may be in line to purchase in the future. Just wanted to pick fellow RV's brains.
Welcome to the forum. When we carry my wife’s Nissan Rouge we use a dolly. Works pretty well. I’d have to look again, but I think it is an easy tow. Ours has the hyd brake system, so no electric brakes are needed. Just one thing, you can’t back up. If you do the brakes will come on, however you not suppose to back them up when in use anyway. I can’t even tell it back there when towing.

Attachments

• 07A02100-2609-42A5-87AB-078B7F0C0B34.jpeg
    07A02100-2609-42A5-87AB-078B7F0C0B34.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 5
Welcome from.......well right now on the road outside of Sheveport, but soon to be back on our site in Florida. You have found about the best RV forum there is in my opinion.

We are full timers and just made the transition from a diesel pusher to a 5th wheel. Our last rig combination consisted of Tandem Tow so we could travel pulling our Harley Trike and our SUV.

As you already probably know, there really is no backing up with a tow dolly, just like towing 4-down. However, when it comes to a tow dolly there are generally only two options. A regular tow dolly can haul just about any front wheel drive vehicle, they are not very expensive, and most states don't even let you register them. The other option is the Tandem Tow Dolly. The first section is a flat area where you can have a motorcycle or a golf cart loaded sideways, then right behind that is the dolly portion. These can run anywhere from $4,000 to $9,000 depending on size of platform, options, and of course new or used.

Safe travels!

Welcome to RVF, @kaustinshort; glad you;ve joined us here. And, welcome to the world of RVing.

You don’t mention what kind of car you plan to tow, but some models can be towed 4-wheels-down without a dolly, others require a dolly and some can not be towed on a dolly but must be on a trailer. Can you tell us what car you will want to tow?

TJ

Latest resources

Back