Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cjpatton

RVF Newbee
I'm new to this. My lead acid toast. Have a solar upgrade. Seems 1 100 hour lithium would replace 2 100 ah agm. Anyone?? Here's my charge system. Difference in lithium battle vs cheaper on Amazon

Attachments

• 20220501_122525.jpg
    20220501_122525.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
I agree… 1 100ah lithium will replace 2 100ah agm…. Assuming agm are 6 volt? Especially over the long term as lithiums last much longer.

A lithium iron phospate (LiFePO4) battery needs a higher voltage charging profile to up around 14.4 to 14.6 volts to reach the fully charged capacity of any LiFePO4 type of battery. Most of the flooded lead acid, sealed lead acid and Absorbed Glass Mat 12 volt battery chargers cut off well before reaching 14.5 volts DC and will leave the LiFePO4 battery considerably undercharged.

LiFePO4 batteries also should not be trickle charged - shortens the life of the battery.

I have also been studying the use of LiFePO4 batteries here for other systems than RV travel such as amateur radio. The battery and charger manufacturers recommend the use of a battery temperature probe to prevent charging an LiFePO4 battery at any temperature below about 35 degrees F - its a safety requirement, they say. Remember - lithium batteries have a tendency to catch fire if mishandled.

Thusly, I've yet to replace my present trailer battery because it is still new and because I will need to upgrade my solar panel charge controller to something a little more sophisticated. My AC to DC trailer controller / battery charger system would also need an upgrade.

Rick

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back