Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

amanzo724

RVF Newbee
Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum, and I am hoping to get a little clarification from the experts out there.

I am looking to purchase a 2021 Forest River Salem FSX. However, I read online that it is better to have a tandem axle trailer. Being a first time RV owner and tower, is having a single axle on the Salem going to cause me issues towing?

Thanks!
Anthony

If you have a flat tire with a single axle trailer you are stuck on the side of the road doing repairs because you only have one tire on each side of the trailer. If you have a tandem axel trailer and have a blow out, you still have one tire on that side that may allow you to limp down the road to the next exit for the repair, rather than having to do it on the side of the road. Also, having only one tire per side on a single axel trailer makes it easier to over load the tires with all the junk you put into your camper which makes it easier to cause a blow out. Personally I would never buy a single axel trailer for myself.

I think tandem axle trailers are safer for reasons @"EZ" stated. Tandem axle trailers also track straighter and have less sway. Lots of folks trailer with single axle but I personally would not.

Multiple axles are much better for control and breaking. I do want to point out that no one ever considers and that is alignment. Many manufactures just slap on the hangers to the frame and bolt on the axles never aligning them. I had an issue once with a 36ft 5th wheel that would keep blowing tires if I went over 60 mph for any length of time. I found out the axles were out of alignment causing each axle to fight each other and creating extreme temps in the tires. I took it to the local heavy truck repair shop and they aligned them for me by bending the axles as needed. Not only did I never blow a tire, I got better mileage.

Welcome to RVF, @amanzo724, glad to have you here with us. I think you have received good input above. Obviously, the size of the trailer will, to some extent, determine whether the manufacturer builds it on a single-axle or multiple-axle platform. If the size trailer you are looking at (I'm not familiar with the Salem FSX) is offered with a single- or double-axle platform, I would certainly opt for the double-axle Version.

TJ

Latest resources

Back