Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bobby P

RVF Regular
Hey y’all, new here and the site is confusing already. I was interested about some info on a front (central) AC prob. Help

Welcome Bobby! You'll have to give us some information about what kind of RV you have and what kind of A/C units you have so we'll know where to begin.

I am not sure of the roof top model it is original equipment on a 97 prowler fifth wheel. Camping World says the replacement is a Coleman model Mark 15 I believe. I have replaced the blower fan motor and both capacitors.I have also replaced the split 20/30 amp breaker that it trips. It works absolutely fine until the outside temperature is above 75 to 80° but then it will trip the breaker. I had an HVAC friend of mine tell me he thought the windings and the compressor may be going down. Does that make any sense to the RV people here?

Hey Bobby, welcome! I'll give you credit for tinkering with that a/c unit in an attempt to get it working. But to be honest I'm shocked a 24 year old RV a/c unit even turns on at this point. I think you are wasting time and money on something that will never work right again. It would be like me preparing to compete in a 10 mile marathon against a bunch of 20 year olds, I ain't going to ever make it.

I appreciate the thoughts and I’m figuring you’re right but still you live in hope if ya die in despair...Lol I’m an old southern boy that doesn’t like to admit defeat and it works so damn good... up to a point. I was just hoping someone might have an answer I haven’t tried yet

Hey Bobby, welcome. Let me ask did your HVAC buddy actually pull out gauges and check it or just look at it? You have two fans one for condenser and one for evaporator. does the evaporator freeze up? Is the head pressure right? Lot of questions but the best thing you can do is have an HVAC Pro look check it out.

A quality residential or light commercial AC unit has an average reliable life span of 12 years according to ASHRAE. Not uncommon to get to 15 years, but is on borrowed time. Sure there are a handful of units that make it to 20 years, but usually their capacity and efficiency has been dropping off. RV AC units are commodity items not dissimilar to window units and not the same quality. If I remember correctly the average life span is somewhere around 8-10 years. At 23-24 years, this unit is well past its useful life.

A quality residential or light commercial AC unit has an average reliable life span of 12 years according to ASHRAE. Not uncommon to get to 15 years, but is on borrowed time. Sure there are a handful of units that make it to 20 years, but usually their capacity and efficiency has been dropping off. RV AC units are commodity items not dissimilar to window units and not the same quality. If I remember correctly the average life span is somewhere around 8-10 years. At 23-24 years, this unit is well past its useful life.
Ah yes! One problem with that assessment. a residential A/C unit sees regular summer use in it's 12 years of service. The window unit the same service in a house. The RV unit is the same as a window unit with ducting. Because the RV unit is used by most users maybe 6 times a year for weekends and at that in many parts of the country only occasionally at that the years life expectancy is flawed. If you go back far enough R-12 or 22 is used but even that is older than his unit. I had a 58 vagabond that had it's original working A/C. That was in the late 80's I agree that the efficiency has gone up but not so much in the RV units. That is why I suggest mini-splits. At the same time, if a fan or charge would fix this problem, Then why not?

Latest resources

Back