Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
Friday evening we ended up having a few friends join us for cocktails at our site. A couple in a 5th wheel backed into a site on the next road (we are on a corner). We didn't pay much attention at first but after about 20 minutes we did notice that there were 3 cars waiting on the road because he was still hooked up and they couldn't get through. As we began to play closer attention to him we realized that he had put all six leveling jacks down and was still hooked up to his hitch! Not only that, but he had plugged in his power and water and was working on his sewer configuration, all the time blocking the road. I suspected things would turn ugly with all his jacks down because he wouldn't be able to unhook. By this time there was 4 cars waiting and an RV. He finished his sewer run, slowly pulled the arm on his hitch, and unhooked. It took him another several minutes to jockey the truck around to get it off the road.

Tip to newbees........if you are blocking a road after backing into a site, drop that fiver and clear the road before setting up camp. Everyone will appreciate it and it is just plain rude to expect everyone else to sit and wait on you.

Last edited:
This is one of those areas that's the same as "thin ice" - I recall some other discussion on this site some time ago. If the opportunity presents itself at some point such as after they are settled in, offer tips on campground etiquette "nicely". I distinctly remember how overwhelmed I was with a new Class A, I completely get that people new to this need to figure out their pattern for setting up. I will also balance that in that I recall I pissed off another Newmar owner when he was discussing truck stops and worrying about those waiting behind and hurrying through when I said NOT to worry about those behind you, do what you have to do safely then move forward so as not the hold up the pump. There is a time when we have to get out of the way and there is also a time when you need to safely do what you're doing and people know this is a part of RVing, campgrounds, etc. Not related to the OP's discussion above but just wanted to add as sometimes we do need to block a road but do so with minimum time but still being safe. I have no issues with someone making recommendations to me on something I could do better and there are a lot of newbies out there with the RV market the way it is, offer to help if the opportunity presents itself.

I’m pretty amazed at the patience shown by those waiting for the guy to do his thing. Good job, folks. Frequently, situations like this turn ugly within a couple of minutes.

TJ

If I saw someone blocking traffic AND setting up camp, I don't know....that would be hard not to say something. You can be nice about it, but something probably needs to be said to get into your site, setup after. @FL-JOE said it perfectly in the closing statement.

Stupidity on display. It's everywhere you go. Some people walk around so unaware of their surroundings that it amazes me. I guarantee you the guy didn't realize he was holding anyone up. Just clueless. :rolleyes:

We were in NC last week. A guy backed his into the site and didn't bother to unhook. His truck covered about 1/4 of the road, forcing people to drive around him.

Latest resources

Back