Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newbie - Guidance on a true 4 season camper (5th wheel or travel trailer)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Abe-

RVF Newbee
Hi,

I'm new to the camper world, and am looking to buy either a fifth wheel or travel trailer. I live in the Midwest and would like one I can use all year long even in freezing temperatures. I've been looking at the Forest River Artic Wolf campers. Anyone here have or know of the best camper that actually can be used in freezing temperatures? Any guidance or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Personally I don't think any RV's are made for year-round use if you live in the Midwest. I wouldn't even attempt it. Your water lines will be frozen, the furnace will run constantly etc. Not worth the headache. Those little stickers that say "Winter Package" or "Freeze Tested" near the door are all B.S. marketing.

Hi,

I'm new to the camper world, and am looking to buy either a fifth wheel or travel trailer. I live in the Midwest and would like one I can use all year long even in freezing temperatures. I've been looking at the Forest River Artic Wolf campers. Anyone here have or know of the best camper that actually can be used in freezing temperatures? Any guidance or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
If you spend more you might get a little more, maybe not. Definitely needs a heated underbelly and a heated water bay. Trailers where the hose screws into the side of the trailer outside are a definite no.
I spent 3 winters in trailers up near St. Louis while working at the refinery, a few days and nights at 0 degrees and all of them froze somewhere. Those were the times I was wondering if I was working for nothing considering my propane costs.

If you're stationary and hire someone to make you canvas underskirt for like 2-3 grand you can get by better, I never did that.

If you are willing to part with $350,000 or above for a really nice diesel pusher you can get by in some pretty frigid temps. Your heating system will run from your diesel tank which will make it slightly more affordable.

As far as travel trailers and fivers, you would need all the factory cold weather options and even then you could still freeze up your black water and gray water gate valves.

Latest resources

Back