Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kwmiler

RVF Newbee
First time owner of any camper and I just purchased a Real-lite ss-1600 for my Tacoma. I’ve taken it out twice now and have. Some questions mainly about the how the power systems work.
It has a 3 way refrigerator, cooktop, tankless water heater,lights, furnace etc. When I purchased it they told me they had filled the propane tank but after less than 2 nights it’s empty. I used the propane option on the refrigerator for about 6 hour, cooked 1 meal and used the heater until it died after about 3 cycles. Totally out of propane! This can’t be right,right? I’m assuming the didn’t fill the tank? It leaks? Or am I doing something terribly wrong?
Any help is appreciated, thanks
Ken

Ken, it should be a simple math:
Find out how big is your propane bottle
Find out how much propane (per hour) uses every item - fridge , water heater, furnace, generator if you have one.

It really is as simple as @Buly says. If life hasn't moved you this way yet, now that you are dealing with RV dealers you need to trust but verify. They said are the most common refrain heard from RV buyers, usually accompanied by some sort of tale of woe.
Learning your rig, how long things like battery charge and gas tank fill's last is part of the steep learning curve RVer's face. FWIW, we all have had similar experiences. Trying to operate our propane furnace last year in Dec in NC mountains reinforced the need to be crystal clear on capacities. Having to climb around the basement of the same coach in Indiana in 10 degree weather at night made me realize how important learning where reset buttons and breakers are probably should have been done in the warm service area the day before.

Do the math, load it up again, operate it in cycles to make it last longer, look at ways to supplement heat (if needed) without compromising safety or electrical components (don't ask me how I know this) and adjust your camping style to the answers you get.

Best of luck

Latest resources

Back