Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newbie here with a newbie question.......

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Big Wave Dave

RVF Newbee
Hello all. My wife and I are new to the forum so we would like to introduce ourselves....................Caroline & David. We live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. We currently do not have a motor home but are looking to get one within the next year. For now we have just one question but more will follow. We are planning on relocating to another state but are looking at living in the motor home for an extended period of time and quite possibly in different locations depending on the job status (working from home). So here we go......................If I currently live in Texas but sell my home and begin living in a motor home with no physical address due to being mobile what are the residency rules for such a venture? I like not paying state/income tax but where we are most likely going to relocate to has this tax. Am I able to maintain a P.O. Box in Texas but live in another state? Hope I am not being too complicated. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome to RVForums.com @Big Wave Dave & Caroline. It sounds like you have an exciting adventure ahead of you both as fulltimers. There are several here that also fulltime and I'm sure can help answer your questions and also feel free to post in the Fulltimer forum for any future related questions for the fulltimers to help you out. Welcome aboard and we can't wait to hear of your RV purchase and journeys ahead.

Appreciate it. We look forward to sharing our adventures as well as obtaining valuable info. from the experts.

David & Caroline

Welcome to RVF, @Big Wave Dave; glad to have you here.

Each state has its own set of rules regarding residence and domicile. Many full-timers register their coach, get a drivers license and set up a PO Box in South Dakota or Florida because of favorable vehicle licensing and tax ramifications. There may be other states to consider as well.

That said, some states will only allow you to reside there for a short period of time (regardless of where your vehicle is licensed and what state issued your drivers license) before considering you a resident and wanting you to register your vehicle there. Washington state (where we maintain residence) is one of those. When you are considering which state to relocate to, do your homework in advance.

TJ

Thanks for the info. TJ. Since nothing is set in stone yet, I am just trying to get an idea what to expect when our home has wheels and we move from location to location. I know I will always have to pay the tax man but just trying to ease the burden as we enter our pre-retirement/retirement years.

Welcome @Big Wave Dave to RVForum, a friendly place to get suggestions on how others have done things. Prior to my retirement we sold our home in NYS and moved into our coach and became residence of Florida. I continued to work some in NYS but mostly in Georgia and had to pay my share of taxes to NYS, using a tax professional will help keep you out of trouble. Now that I am retired and registered in Florida I have no state tax liability.

Latest resources

Back