Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
Hello all, The wife and I are making a big jump from yachting to land yachting. We are selling our 2000 Carver 506 which is a 50 foot twin 480 hp engine beast that the wife is just not comfortable serving as crew for anymore. We have been boating for 30 years and its time to pivot back to RVing.
We had a 28 foot Fleetwood Flair that I bought new in 89 for supporting my SCCA racing passion but sold when we left racing and found boating. We are still working but have done well enough to look at the mid to upper end of the coach spectrum. We attended an RV show this weekend and toured the Tiffin line and the wife fell in love with the Allegro bus 40XSP. I am not really wanting to buy new but I want to get as much of the safety tech features as possible. The main question is when did the lane assist and wind stabilization tech onboard in these coaches? Do I need to look for post 2020 units or were these features available in earlier vintages?
I am trying to figure out just where the major differences lie in the trim packages. The main thing my wife likes about the Allegra Bus over the Allegra Red or the Phaeton is the hand laid tile or marble shower stall over the fiberglass inserts. Just walking through the various models it is really hard to see where the extra $100,000 to $200,000 is in these trim packages.
Any input about these coaches will be very appreciated. We are just now beginning our quest and are not in a huge rush. I hope we can find what we like here in Nor Cal rather than have to travel far and wide looking.
Rusty

While you are doing your research, include a survey of owners with these features to see if they work as claimed, if owners are happy with them, if they cause other problems, and if they are prone to failure, leaving you coachless while the rig is in for warranty work (which a new one will be for some time anyway). Used coaches with 10-15k miles are often in near new condition but all the kinks have been worked out. And I’ve read some disturbing reports about collision avoidance doing wonky stuff. Good luck with your search!

I'd also look at a lightly used coach with the features as I think this started in 2020 for lane assist, etc. I have also seen a lot of write-ups about issues with this new system. Also, a lot of issues with the steering wheel controls on the higher end models. I'm kind of a basic is better guy and don't need all the bells and whistles and Las Vegas indoor decor.

I'd also look at a lightly used coach with the features as I think this started in 2020 for lane assist, etc. I have also seen a lot of write-ups about issues with this new system. Also, a lot of issues with the steering wheel controls on the higher end models. I'm kind of a basic is better guy and don't need all the bells and whistles and Las Vegas indoor decor.
I am all about buying slightly used and let the first owner take the 1st year depreciation as well as deal with the headaches of working out the QA kinks. Even if we bought new, I would end up doing any kink resolutions because I can't stomach letting anyone else touch my stuff. The only things I will have a dealer or service center do would be software updates or recall stuff.

Hi Rusty:

Just so you know, IMHO you can buy a NEW ordered coach from the factory CHEAPER than buying a used two or three year old used coach. Just check out the prices on RVtrader.com and other sites. Pick a reputable dealer and get a price quote. And that's assuming on a used coach that the previous owner DID work the bugs out.

The downside is you will have to take care of all the bugs associated with a brand new coach. A reputable dealer goes a long way when you need service. You can always go to Red Bay Alabama to the factory but that can be a long drive if you are not close.

The RV industry technology moves very fast. There are major upgrades in just a year or two of builds. I am a technology guy. I love my heated floors, Digital dash, built in Navigation, built in TPMS system, Solar Power roof system, Spyder control panels and much more.

LOL if I could get a Tiffin 35CP Bus up my driveway I would all ready have one.

HH

Hi Rusty:

Just so you know, IMHO you can buy a NEW ordered coach from the factory CHEAPER than buying a used two or three year old used coach. Just check out the prices on RVtrader.com and other sites. Pick a reputable dealer and get a price quote. And that's assuming on a used coach that the previous owner DID work the bugs out.

The downside is you will have to take care of all the bugs associated with a brand new coach. A reputable dealer goes a long way when you need service. You can always go to Red Bay Alabama to the factory but that can be a long drive if you are not close.

The RV industry technology moves very fast. There are major upgrades in just a year or two of builds. I am a technology guy. I love my heated floors, Digital dash, built in Navigation, built in TPMS system, Solar Power roof system, Spyder control panels and much more.

HH
Hi Rusty:

HH
I see these motor homes with $600,000 MSRPs but used for around $400,000. Does anyone actually pay MSRP or event the discounted "show price"? I see the 'make and offer' button and wonder what people actually end up paying for a new coach. I do not relish working the kinks out over the first year so buying slightly used seems way more attractive. Love to hear what you guys that have purchased factory new, what you actually paid.
Thanks

Before covid and the mad rush to buy RVs, there were deep discounts off MSRP. I was quoted around 71% of MSRP for new Newmar coaches from several dealers. Since then things have changed, prices are up, but with the increase in fuel costs, the market is probably cooling off again.

Last edited:
Before covid and the mad rush to buy RVs, there were deep discounts off MSRP. I was quoted around 71% or MSRP for new Newmar coaches from several dealers. Since then things have changed, prices are up, but with the increase in fuel costs, the market is probably cooling off again.
That does make sense, at Happy Daze we saw a 40IP with an original sticker at $578,000 on sale for $459,000 and I imagine one could shave a few more percent off of that to make a deal.

When I bought my coach in May 2021, I got a 29% discount off MSRP. I got three different quotes from the then BIG 3. Davis, Ingram , and Sherman, they have all since been bought out. Each quote was at least $25K to 35K LOWER than a used coach for sale at two or even three years old.

Just because you are buying used doesn't mean all the bugs are worked out. What if the previous owner didn't work any of the bugs out. Had the coach for two years, ran it like he stole it, and sold or traded it in.

My first coach, I bought a used Itasca DP, with very low miles, that was four years old. Put $20K into it getting it the way I wanted. Then about $4K each year for 4 years with mechanical issues, and other breakdowns. The technology gap is huge in a four year span.

Do your research, in the end you will have to be happy with your decision. I am in the camp of new. I picked out my paint scheme, and interior colors for cabinets, upholstery, bed size, floor tile and much more. I added ALL the options I wanted and did not order the ones I didn't need.

As always there are advantages and disadvantages of either way you purchase. A thought to remember. I am on my third DP. You rarely get everything you like or dislike correct on the first try. You just don't know until your drive and live in it for a while what you deem is really important to YOU.

HH

I am pretty sure if we go ahead and purchase, we will go new and just hope we don't get a lemon. We really like the Allegro Buss 40 IP. We always buy lease return cars and did buy a brand new 27 foot Rinker boat in 2004 and remember how nice it was to buy new. What ever we buy we will keep long enough to get our money's worth out of so we are happy going all in buying the upper end of the line up.

Latest resources

Back