Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Medic34

RVF Newbee
Good morning RV folks. We are new to RVing and about to take our first big trip next month. Going to the Beach. My question is trying to figure out best route and travel times etc. My question is it seems maybe best to travel at night or early morning hours due to traffic and likely less stress due to that lol. But the campground has a 2pm check in I am trying to find suggestions on where to park or what to do with my 35ft travel trailer if we get there a few hours before we can check into the campground any help and adivse would be great thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum. About your travel plans, I would travel at the times that suit you best. For myself I am an earlybird. I get up usually around 4-5AM everyday so I like getting started early. I tend to quit traveling around 2AM and chill out the rest of the day. On my last day of traveling I will schedule my departure so that I would arrive at the check-in time. If I am a little early they usually let me in.

Check out Harvest Hosts, you could stop at one nearby the night before check in.

I’ve also parked at Lowes’s for the night if it was well lit and in a nicer part of town. I like Lowe’s because they are usually in nice enough places and they usually have well maintained, large parking lots and few if any other RVs.

Lots of folks use Walmart as well - not for me but to each their own. Home Depot is another RV Friendly spot and Cracker Barrel also allows overnight parking. If at a retail store, walk in and go to customer service, ask for the manager on duty and politely ask permission, preferably with a bag or two of stuff that you’ve just purchased in hand.

Be courteous. Park in a corner way out of the way. Consider that trucks may come in overnight and you want to give them plenty of room. They shouldn’t even notice you.

Most Cabela's will also allow you to park overnight. Check with the campground and see if you are allowed to check in early.

Great advice above - if the spot you are renting is not occupied the day before you arrive, it probably wouldn't matter if you arrive a few hours early...it may be worth a phone call just asking "I'm 'thinking' of leaving one day early - if I arrive a day early would my site be available?"
This would at least give you an idea of what your possibilities are.
Also if you know the check-out time that may help to know how late the previous camper could stay.
Just my .02 cents worth

Latest resources

Back