Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NotThePainter

RVF Newbee
Newbie here, have only towed once before that was in the early 80s, towing my 1954 Ford Customline on a U-Haul with surge brakes with a friend's full size van. I never once backed up!

So we're retiring soon and like everybody else want to travel some. We're also avid kayakers and tent camp many times a year. I'm just getting tired of the tent, really tired of the tent.

So we bought a Subaru Ascent 2 years ago since it can tow 5,000 lbs with a 500lb tongue weight. We found a trailer that fits, the Intech Sol Horizon, tongue weight is close to 500 but the total, wet, trailer weight is 4,000 so we should be good. But... that trailer will be too small for us if we want to, say, winter in Florida with friends. So we looked bigger. Found the Intech Oasis Terra, dry weight 5,850, tongue 790lbs, total weight 7,500lbs.

Obviously the Subaru won't cut it. And any of the half ton pickups will easily tow it with the correct options.

But what about the slightly smaller trucks with a tow rating of 7,500lbs? In particular I'm thinking of the new Ford Ranger, but Land Cruiser 200 series, Nissan Armada, Land Rover Defender, etc.. are all around the 7,500 lbs towing mark.

A friend of mine is convinced that towing at the limit means we'll be terrified driving, that we need the full size pickup.

So what's the deal? I've a press release that says that Ford complies with SAE J2807 so that should mean the 7,500lbs is an honest number.

What does real world experience say about towing at the limit?

Thanks!

Welcome to the group. Keep in mind cargo in your search for the TT. Towing is one thing stopping and stability is another and a very big part is towing. You are on the right track, it is best to stay under the max weight, in my opinion. Good luck and enjoy the search.

Welcome. Believe me, the stuff and accompanying weight add up fast.

My wife and I are not big people, but on my class C with us both in the back I was very close to being maxed out on the rear axle. Also, remember water is heavy in the fresh water tank.

Forget dry weight numbers. You will likely never tow in that configuration.

It is the gross weight of the trailer you need to use. That weight includes the battery, water, grey and black tank contents, propane tanks, etc. otherwise known as "stuff". We have folding chairs, a toolbox, leveling blocks, and chocks, grill, a portable table, extension 30 amp cord, which we load on the trailer. Then linens, food, dishes, clothes, books, games, plus you name it. All of this "stuff" adds up. A 7500 lb gross weight trailer should be towed by a vehicle capable of 9000 lbs. That is the 80% rule.

Also, consider the maximum cargo weight rating of the tow vehicle. That would be comprised of passenger weight, fuel weight, trailer tongue weight, actual weight of distribution hitch weight {they are heavy}, and other "stuff" you load into the vehicle. The cargo weight rating should be on a placard on the driver-side door.

Get the numbers and do the math. It is quite easy and once done, you will feel comfortable and safe towing the trailer. Better to have too much truck than too much trailer. It is not only what one can tow, but also what one can stop that's important. I've seen more than one slide into an intersection.

Just refer to the Owner Manual and chart showing the tow weight rating for the specific configuration of engine and rear end gears of the tow vehicle.

In our case, it is 9500 lbs. I believe that to be correct. Our trailer has a GVWR {Gross Vehicle Weight Rating} of 7685 lbs. So (7685/9500)*100 = 80.8%. That says if loaded at the gross weight we are at 79% of the rating of the tow vehicle. That is within the recommended margin of safety.

Even the Chev or GMC 2500 has a maximum tow rating. It is in the manual. Read it and believe it. The numbers are there for a reason. What others think or say are just that, thoughts and words, with no data to back them up.

Did you land on a vehicle for this? I think you are hard pressed to find a small Truck or SUV that can handle this load (and make it comfortable). I think it is go with a v8 truck that dealer rates at 10,000 you will be find. What is the length? anything over 30 feet shouldn't be towed by a 1/2 ton. The key will be the payload of the truck, if you can get something with 2K you will be in better shape.

I am a Ford guy but the Silverado 5.3L should work fine.

Thank and yes!

That's the nice think about the Intech, it is dual axle so it's payload is huge, I can't imagine my wife and I bringing that much stuff. LOL.
How did this work out? Did you find a TT? Let’s see some pics.

Latest resources

Back