• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Zoomer10h

RVF Newbee
Hi all,
Just hit the road for the first time Sunday , leaving the snow belt for the south.
Me and my wife will travel the next 4 months from TN to Dallas to LV, Phoenix back to TX then on towards FL!

First stop, I hook a cord from my friends house, and Instantly blow his breaker ( non gfci)
(2008 Gulfstream wide open max36 toyhauler 5th wheel)
camper has Ben plugged in all summer with no issues! Traced my wiring to the electrical box, literally disconnected the wiring at the box checked for shorts and grounds from the cords, 50-30 adapter, the 50 amp plug on the trailer !
As soon as I hooked up the ground and neutral wires, BAM blew his breaker ( hots weren’t hooked up yet!
Can’t find anything wrong in the camper ( all breakers in the camper where off!
?? HELP

Thanks

First, welcome to RVF; glad you have joined us here.

As for your electrical issue, it sounds like the problem is in your friend's outlet rather than in your RV. Is there another outlet on a different circuit that you could try? Is the electrical outlet something your friend has added himself? I ask this because it sounds like it may not be wired correctly. People sometimes confuse "ground" and "neutral" as being the same and reversing those connections can cause the issue you are experiencing. Just a thought.

It could also be the adapter(s) you are using to go from 50A to 20A. If you have the option of trying a different set of adapters, I would try that.

Finally, since your electrical system worked previously, I wouldn't think the issue would be there, UNLESS you have changed any of the wiring (intended or unintended). You mentioned that you "literally disconnected the wiring at the box." Which "box;" on the trailer side or house side?

Finally, check ALL of the wiring connections in the circuit (from the electrical panel in the house to the one in the trailer) for tightness. Loose connections can cause these kinds of issues as well.

Good luck...and, be careful working around the electrical panels.

TJ

sounds like a stupid question but, what size breakers are on the circuit you are hooking to?

sounds like a stupid question but, what size breakers are on the circuit you are hooking to?
If I understood correctly, @Kevin D Pem, he is having this problem even with the hot leads disconnected, so no load on the breaker. You are the electrician in the group, so you may have some insight that I don't. It just seems to me that something is misfired in the house circuit he is connecting too.

TJ

If I understood correctly, @Kevin D Pem, he is having this problem even with the hot leads disconnected, so no load on the breaker. You are the electrician in the group, so you may have some insight that I don't. It just seems to me that something is misfired in the house circuit he is connecting too.

TJ
The number one thing to check while trouble shooting is the most obvious. When I home in on the problem I like the easy fixed first.

Re visit the above statement. As I understand his question the breaker blows when he connects to the circuit.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back