Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar All Star - Mid Engine - Any Thoughts / Recommendations?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Alex444

RVF Regular
Hi all,

Brand new here - we are considering upgrading from a 77 Airstream to a Class A to get out and travel longer distances and for longer periods of time. We’re a family of 4, soon to be 5, and we came across the All Star models (made from 2007-09 I think) which are a mid-engine setup to give a lot of flexibility in the back. The 3950 model we’re looking at has twin lofts above a queen bed and looks like a great set up for us. This will be our first Class A so we‘re trying to do a ton of research before making the plunge. The 2007 models for sale are right at our budget for this so anything newer doesn’t seem to be in the cards for us. Does anyone have experience with any of the Newmar All Stars? Anything in particular I should be aware of, watch out for, avoid, etc? The idea is to purchase one with low miles and get on the road this summer for a cross-country experience - maybe 4 /5 weeks. Would appreciate any and all guidance!

Welcome to RVForums @Alex444 - do you have any links or pictures to the coach you're considering?

Welcome aboard, @Alex444; glad to have you join us.

As has been said, the mid-engine All-Stars were only made for a short period of time, so there probably won't be many people with first-hand experience with them...including me. That said, here are a few general points to consider.

- Newmar has always produced a quality product; some better than others, but all much better than average for the RV industry.

- AFAIK, the short production period for the All-Star was not related to design issues, but to the economic downturn in that time period.

- A coach in that age range may very well need new tires and batteries due to aging; consider that in the price. If you don't know how to read tire date codes, you will want to learn. Figure $5-$6 K to replace tires and batteries; you may be able to do it for a bit less, but not too much.

- How well has the coach been maintained? Does it look good cosmetically? Are there service records available from the previous owner/owners? Has the coach been sitting, unused, for more than a few months and, if so has it been properly winterized and kept plugged into shore power?

- Finally, the expenditure of a few hundred dollars to have a qualified inspection of the mechanical components (engine, transmission, drive train, brakes, appliances, etc.) would be a good investment. Be sure to use an independent inspector, not one provided by the seller.

Good luck with your search and do come back with questions.

TJ

Welcome aboard, @Alex444; glad to have you join us.

As has been said, the mid-engine All-Stars were only made for a short period of time, so there probably won't be many people with first-hand experience with them...including me. That said, here are a few general points to consider.

- Newmar has always produced a quality product; some better than others, but all much better than average for the RV industry.

- AFAIK, the short production period for the All-Star was not related to design issues, but to the economic downturn in that time period.

- A coach in that age range may very well need new tires and batteries due to aging; consider that in the price. If you don't know how to read tire date codes, you will want to learn. Figure $5-$6 K to replace tires and batteries; you may be able to do it for a bit less, but not too much.

- How well has the coach been maintained? Does it look good cosmetically? Are there service records available from the previous owner/owners? Has the coach been sitting, unused, for more than a few months and, if so has it been properly winterized and kept plugged into shore power?

- Finally, the expenditure of a few hundred dollars to have a qualified inspection of the mechanical components (engine, transmission, drive train, brakes, appliances, etc.) would be a good investment. Be sure to use an independent inspector, not one provided by the seller.

Good luck with your search and do come back with questions.

TJ
Thanks TJ! I’ve been communicating a lot with the seller and he’s been great so far. I’m told the front tires are 2018, rear are 2019, and batteries are 2019. He has all services records, and I definitely plan to get an inspection before I take the plunge! It looks to be in great shape.

I’m more concerned if these had any known issues or if the buyer perception is bad since it was such a short production run. It sounds like these types of setups are not uncommon outside of the RV market (like fire trucks) and that it helps balance the ride - though you sacrifice some engine noise due to the location.
Thanks again!

That looks like a really well-maintained coach! Very nice. The fact that it only has 58K miles on it 13 years tells you that it hasn't been heavily used, but obviously well-kept. The fact that it has been "professionally serviced" and service records are available is a big plus, along with pretty current tires and batteries. Looks like a gem to me.

TJ

Whoa that one is way nicer than the All Star I was considering when weighing my options. With a good inspection I wouldn’t fret over jumping on that.

Here is the specific one we’re looking at.
I'm a fan of the All Star. Here are some pics of a 4481 All Star that I found awhile back. I didn't buy it as I had reservations about going through the bedroom everytime I wanted to get from one end of the coach to the other. But it's a wonderful motor home for the right person.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Latest resources

Back