DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
Anyone have this? Let’s assume a surge occurs that takes out the surge protector as has happened with my portable Progressive Industries surge protector. Am I correct to assume the surge guard function can be bypassed to keep power going to the coach?

Second Q: What is involved in repairing a fried surge guard in this instance?

Contact Progressive Industries and they usually will send you a replacement.

Hey Jim, thank you for the reply. I have had great service from Progressive before, so I concur wholeheartedly with your post.

I may have not been as precise as I should have been with my questions. The surge guard I'm asking about is the one that is integral to the ATS on the 2021 DSDP. I do not know if this has been an option on prior year DSDPs or other Newmar coaches, but it is listed as an option on the '21 DSDP.

Thanks again!

I believe the combined ATS/surge suppressor must be replaced if it takes a hit. There is no "pass-through" function, so shore power is lost until the replacement is done. Generator power can still be used. At least, that was the case in 2018 when I checked. That's why we opted not to have the combined unit installed in our coach.

Instead, we carry a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, along with a spare PI SSP-50XL because we spend a lot of time in Montana, where lightning is a fairly common occurrence. And, when lightning is imminent, we physically disconnect from the shore power pedestal. Even lightning strikes on an electric power pole a couple miles away can result in a significant surge/spike.

TJ

Ed
I have it installed in our 2020 but still use my Surgeguard at the pedestal. My thinking is I rather sacrifice that unit than the permanently installed unit. That said only thing I’ve have read reference your question is in troubleshooting guide. ATS will
DE901395-8C3D-4C7D-8C4C-706B439C82AF.jpeg
still work.

I do not know if this has been an option on prior year DSDPs or other Newmar coaches, but it is listed as an option on the '21 DSDP.

You got the correct answers.

And, yes, it’s been an option for years. I felt it was a waste for the $600 since I felt the outboard progressive provided distinct advantages.

All - I keep a portable one hooked up, even though I got the built in one/ATS feature. I use it to check pedestal (shore) power, and if staying long (more than two nights) I lock it to the pedestal and use it. Here in GA, we have lots of lightening as well, but think the EMC must have more protection on the system than out in MT. I used to work for BPA in the field, and MT utilities were not the best then, cut corners all the time to keep stockholders happy. Here, we have lost power twice over hour in the 4 years here. But back to OP, you question has been answered. But keep using the portable one as additional protection, life can get you.

Latest resources

Back