Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I want to know about successful changes for custom electrical changes.

I am looking at a London Aire specifically, but the specials should be the same for all class a coaches.

#1 - Add a non-inverter power connection in kitchen.

There is one for the induction range, but that is the only one on standard builds. I have found that I have stressed the inverter when using the Microwave, and a skillet along with coffee maker. Putting the skillet on a non-inverted outlet would resolve the problem. Has anyone done this? Would like details of how your special was worded.

#2 - 240V for Dryer in Non-Essex/King Aire
Has anyone been successful in getting a 240v dryer in a Mountain Aire/London Aire? This has been denied for me in the Dutchstar in prior orders

#3 - AC Power outlet in closet
This would be useful for charging the dyson. I would like to know how your specials where worded, and any suggestions on location and other considerations for this outlet

#4 - AC Power in Washer/Dryer side Vanity Medicine Cabinet
For models with the dual master vanities, there is a medicine cabinet on either side. The standard is the closet side vanity has a power plug, but the opposite side does not. Has anyone successfully added one here? Would like to know the wording used for this

#5 - USB Higher output plugs
Has anyone optioned in a faster or higher amp USB outlet vs the standard outlet newmar is using?

#6 - London Aire 4551 Specific changes
For those that have ordered the 4551, what specific changes did you make or wish that you did for electrical connections?

Lets keeps this thread about electrical specials only--DC or AC is fine.

Thanks!

#5 - USB Higher output plugs
Has anyone optioned in a faster or higher amp USB outlet vs the standard outlet newmar is using?
I added two. Units under the dining room tBle that plug into a power strip.I think that gives me ten USB ports, total. Theyare all velcroed to the metal support, under the outer lion the dinette table.

Would you need 2 x Inverters to run 240V in the washer/dryer? I realize it’s shore power but I think you would need an additional inverter which @10fan did in his. You may want to consider specialing a 2nd inverter which I’m not sure if many have considered which may open the door to options.

#3 - AC Power outlet in closet
This would be useful for charging the dyson. I would like to know how your specials where worded, and any suggestions on location and other considerations for this outlet
I added an outlet in the only bathroom in my Superstar 4061. The wording: "Additional 110v outlet behind stool near the floor." Pretty vague, but since it was for a bidet with its own 2 to 3 foot power cord, a highly precise location wasn't necessary.

I suspect it's the same for your closet outlet, so long as the charger unit for the Dyson doesn't plug directly into the outlet. If it has a cord, all you really have to do is specify which wall, and approximately how high off the floor you'd like it. Will anything else likely be plugged into this outlet?

Would you need 2 x Inverters to run 240V in the washer/dryer? I realize it’s shore power but I think you would need an additional inverter which @10fan did in his. You may want to consider specialing a 2nd inverter which I’m not sure if many have considered which may open the door to options.
I don't want to run off inverter or even pass thru. This is a wiring issue in how they wires are connected in the breaker box.

Would you want to consider 2 inverters and a load balancer to avoid any potential issues with inverter load? I don’t know what Newmar offers but this is our configuration on our coach and we never have to worry about using the microwave along with coffee maker or hair dryer or … ?

In my experience Newmar does not do custom very well. Every time we have attempted to get the Newmar Service Center to install a non factory item it has taken two or even three visits to get it right. This is not to slam Newmar Service, they do an excellent job with the RV when you stick to factory installed design and equipment.

I would live to have dual inverter. To make that work, i would need additional wiring to the breaker box right?

Xantrex allows either parallel or series stacking if their inverters. I need to study that. Will post back.

All - Have not checked current RVIA/NEC concerning RV specifically electrical code in 10 years. I am not sure Newmar would even entertain the 240V dryer outlet, and several reasons come to mind. One, would require a "Special Wiring" harness, and breaker for it. It's normally not done in RV's period, that I know of. Don't think Newell's et-al do it. It certainty would not run through the current AC Breaker panel used by Newmar. A special breaker box would be needed for one. I am not sure from a liability standpoint they will do this. And your dryer choice might be a non standard unit. You could see if they will wire it, and not install washer/dryer, but then getting a consumer one to fit might be a headache you don't want to have. Please remember, when offering the washer/dryer or the space, they have units specifically designed for RV's in mind. European models "might fit" but this again causes different electrical requirements. The clothes dryer DOES NOT RUN THROUGH THE INVERTER, nor do the A/C's-heat pumps. That is what the genset is for or shore power.

Skipping inverter for some receptacles, yes that is possible, as some are skipped now, so picking and choosing is something you have to do with Newmar directly, so communication does not get fouled up.

Having the electrical outlet in closet is good idea, we also have dyson stick we take with us, and we keep it by front area with charger plugged into wall behind passenger seat. The way we have closet arranged, putting dyson in there would be cumbersome in our floorplan, it works better up front, and goes on bed when traveling, does not move. The built in vacuums are in my opinion worthless, the stick works perfectly for the rugs we have placed over the tile to keep floor warmer.*

Concerning USB output, good luck, the USB standard is something agreed upon by the major players in that arena, and those specifications are fixed. You will find faster charging using a USB-C connection into phone with standard USB on the other end of the cable. And the pad charger on my coach seems to be faster than any of the USB connections in the coach. Only specific equipped phones can pad charge. But if you plug in phone at night it will be charged by morning. Or you can just use the 120V charger provided with your phone. Adding extra USB outlets should be possible.

NOTE" Not saying salesmen/woman are not considerate, not saying dealers will tell you anything to get your business. But I would call Newmar direct, find a person you like to deal with, and talk to them directly about what you want and work directly with that person as much as possible so they get it (i.e., your wants). Then, make sure that there is a written documentation on the specials you want and then hand that to your dealer of choice, then they know that Newmar is already on board with your desires. This is a case of dealing with the captain of the ship instead of the officer of the deck of what you are wanting.

*Assuming you are retired, what else do you have to do so important you cannot take an additional hour to dry clothes. We are very happy with the splendide washer and dryer in our coach. We usually do it, in the afternoon of the day before we are leaving so everything is clean and dry upon our departure. But everyone is different. The amp load for that install will eclipse the shore power connection as well. Since it's a 30A double pole breaker load by itself. This might make difference to some, we do not have grandkids or pets which mans our dirt is only adult dirt. Our laundry and vacuuming hence is easier and less cumbersome not having kids tramping into unit and dog/cat hair everywhere. Not to be disparaging to those of you who do. The point is we are all different, and what works for us, which we feel makes our life simpler, may not work for you. That is the way life is. I enjoy it, you can too your way.

On piece of advice, and cannot tell what "drawer/cabinet" catches are used now, but get the highest weighted ones you can get. Our drawers in kitchen and pantry come open once in a while if the pavement is very uneven when making a left turn. I have reduced weight in them, but it still happens. There is a catch which is a push button which releases it, and thinking about going to that type since believe stronger than what we have.

Also, the collision/braking etc., systems now offered in upscale MH's do not work well or as advertised last I heard. Almost every Mountain Aire in for service last year at mothership had complaints on the auto braking feature and the collision avoidance system being inoperable or not operating correctly, to the point of dangerous. The rule of thumb was to turn off those features by the owner. Newmar at that time was not to my knowledge able to get them to work as they are advertised. If option, I would avoid them for now. I also think this is something the chassis manufacturer puts into coach, so you may not have any choice in it, have them turned off. Owners of present units should chine in here and update the masses on the workability and satisfaction of those systems for future owners. I am happy with the Xite/Rand McNally navigation system, but it took me about 3 months to understand how it's different from a normal GPS, and the updates although free, took that long to get the bugs worked out of it. Now it's fine. Just convoluted in setting in destination, or finding parks in the database. I practice on it once month to keep brain sharp. Won't recommend or not recommend it. The satellite radio feature works fine, and I can use Bluetooth feature to play songs from my phone custom playlist into system while going down road, with it on pad charger, it never runs out of battery power. New coaches have all the touch controls on the steering wheel so answer, skip to next song, all that is on the wheel, and you don't have to reach over like I presently would have to do.

Another point to consider, is to drive the model you are considering from several different dealers and terrain so you are aware of how it works for you. We did NOT pre drive one, and it did drive considerably different than at the time our MH. Ours does not drive near as good as our last coach, but it was designed to be as near to BMW as possible, another story.

Last edited:
Redbaron, I was under the impression the New Aire and several other larger highline coaches had to have dual inverters for all the stuff to work. I also think or it used to be that Silverleaf was in some of the high end coaches. HWH Leveling as well too if I remember my brochure reading. Maybe thinking of another brand, could have sworn it was in Newmar. Know Prevost based models have dual inverters almost as a matter of necessity.

Latest resources

Back