• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar Factory Pickup (FPU/CPU) and Dealer Deliveries

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I neglected to mention the one thing I learned during our FPU/CPU that left a bad taste in my mouth: tires.

Thanks to discussions elsewhere on this board, I knew enough to check the manufacture dates on the tires, and how to do it. I was not prepared to learn that some of the tires on my new coach were over a year old already! I could not see the dates on ALL of the tires, but the NEWEST of the ones I COULD see were 8 months old. Unfortunately, Newmar says they can’t do anything about it, and the Freightliner rep who came to the facility on Thursday also provided no help. So, I have several tires whose life span was 20% gone before I even owned the coach. I’m pretty unhappy with Freightliner, and I also believe that Newmar could have pressured on them on my behalf to rectify the issue.

At any rate: on to the “bad”. In general, I like my new coach. I’m happy I went with a Super C; it was the right choice for us. But:

The first night away from Nappanee, we slept at a highway rest stop (not as bad as it sounds, this one is kind of designed for it.) In the morning, I fired up the engine and crawled slowly away from the trucks in the area. The first time I touched the accelerator pedal, I got no response. No increase in RPM, no acceleration, nothing. Floored it – nothing. I hadn’t even made out of the rest area yet, but I was able to coast to the side, enough to allow traffic to get around and re-enter the freeway.

I called Freightliner, expecting perhaps some help in troubleshooting. Alas, this guy’s function is only to tell me the phone number of the nearest Freightliner garage. So, I called them, still hoping for some troubleshooting advice. Nope: but here’s the number of the tow company we use.

So I resign myself to a 50 mile tow on the first morning away from the factory. Arrange the tow, whose driver says that he’s about 90 minutes away. No sense idling fuel away all that time, so I shut down to begin the wait. That’s when the same idea hits the wife and me at the same time, and I restart the motor, try the accelerator, and everything is working perfectly! So, I call off the tow (he hadn’t had time yet to even get in his truck, fortunately), and decide that Freightliner must be a subsidiary of MicroSoft, since CTL-ALT-DEL apparently fixes diesels, too!

Next problem: the second night, I decide to run the coach on the batteries for a while, to try to get a feel for how long I could do so. Set the auto generator start to come on at 12.2v, and sat down to a little TV. About 10 minutes goes by, and the generator kicks on. WHAT? I decided to deal with this after getting home.

The rest of the trip home was quite fun, even if it did take some time to relax and truly believe that the toad really did intend to follow wherever we decided to go!

We made it home in time for Christmas, and decide the day after to wash the trip off the outside of the coach. ( Hey – it’s Arizona! You can wash stuff in your driveway in December!) When I pulled the coach out of the garage, I noticed the leaks on the garage floor – a small pool of fluid at about where the back of the engine would be, and some more further back, just ahead of the rear driver’s wheels. I arrange to take it to the local Freightliner.

They seem like good folks, and they are able to look at the coach the next day. They steam clean the engine, and take a look. They decide that what I’m seeing is not any sort of leak(s), but rather cosmoline applied as a rust preventative at the factory. I am familiar with cosmoline only as a packing material for firearms. In THAT capacity, it is a VERY thick, goopy kind of stuff that would never drip in such a way as to be mistaken for any engine fluid. I’m leery, but aware that I’m a complete noob to RVs, so I’m willing to take their word.

Until I park it for a few days, and then decide to take it to a local state park for its maiden voyage. Sure enough, more fluid on the garage floor. This time, when I open the bay containing the hydraulic pump/reservoir for the steps/levelling jacks, I find a diminished reservoir and old fluid on the bay floor, dripping through to the garage floor, in addition to the engine area fluid.

Continue with maiden voyage, where I develop what seems to be a fresh water tank leak! Return home and call Freightliner. This time, they find transmission fluid leaking and have to replace rear main seal, which involves removing the transmission. They did get it done in two days, but the other issues are not chassis problems, so I need a Newmar-authorized shop to look at those. The Freightliner shop is owned by Velocity, who also owns the RV sales place in the same location. Coincidentally, they just became a Newmar Super C dealer, so I called them for the electrical-hydraulic-water leak problems. They are the largest Renegade dealership on the planet, and just became a Newmar Super C, Showhauler, and Nexus C dealer.

They have ONE tech, and won’t even put me on a calendar. Minimum of three weeks until they can estimate when they can schedule me.

The next nearest authorized dealer is in Denver. After that, Florida. After THAT, no more dealers. Back to Napannee would be the only option.

Care to guess my frustration level with my one month old coach? It’ll all get done, I’m sure…but at this moment, regardless of how nice the coach itself might be, I’m thinking that maybe Newmar jumped into the Super C arena before they were ready for prime time!

Thanks for the write up Av8r. I’m sorry you’re having those issues. That would take the sheen off of anyone’s trophy. I’d be leaning towards a return to Nappanee, but that’s an 1800 mile trip from where you are. Best of luck, my friend. It will get worked out. Keep the faith.

We had our FPU last week. It was exhausting mostly due to burning a day and a half moving our personal belongings from old coach to new coach. That was a much larger task than I gave it credit for. Knowing what I know now, I would have used that time more productively inspecting the new coach.

Pro tip: The firehose treatment is in full effect. If you are like me and tend to have things pass thru your grey matter rather than stick, video the portion of the delivery where the tech is going over the controls in the panel above the driver’s seat. That area is the nerve center of the coach and there is a LOT of information to take onboard there. I say again...a LOT of information.

We had the usual minor issues that you read about people having with a new coach. The tech was pretty good about getting those issues resolved. However, there were a couple of things that surprised me and left an aftertaste that I’d rather have avoided.

We conducted a test drive on Wednesday. That gave me a real appreciation for how far coaches have come since my old coach was produced. It is a night and day difference. The most stark difference is braking. The brakes on my Kountry Star sucked badly. The DS stops more like an automobile. I feel much more in control of this coach. I always felt as though I was hanging on to the KS, the DS inspires confidence.

The evening of the test drive, I was looking around under the engine and discovered this:

5C9DFC7F-9652-443C-957C-E0E8B083D830.jpeg

I emailed the team leader that evening and I had a tech and a mechanic at my door the next morning. It was a coolant leak and the mechanic said it appeared to him it was from a coolant hose fitting going through the frame rail to the DEF tank.

At this point, I was informed that Newmar is not a Freightliner authorized service center and I would have to take the coach to a FL shop for repair. That was surprise #1.

I drove the coach to a FL shop in Elkhart that morning around 1000 and was out of there by 1500. They found two leaks and fixed both. The service writer told me that the large amount of coolant they saw on the chassis was disproportionate to the amount of coolant which seemed to be coming out of those two leaks. That thought stuck in my head as I headed back to Camp Newmar to spend the night.

The next morning (Friday) we departed for home with a planned overnight east of Columbus OH. As a matter of routine, I stop every two hours to stretch legs and check things over. The coolant appeared to be at the sight glass each time I checked.

As we were getting ready to hit the road Sat morning, I found the coolant level below the sight glass (surprise #2). I found a Flying J nearby and purchased two gallons of coolant and emptied nearly half of one to bring the coolant into the sight glass. At each rest stop along the way I had to add coolant. When I got home it took the rest of the gallon container to top it off. One full gallon of coolant over a 750 mile trip.

In other matters, I found disappointment in the Omnivue 360 camera system. I assumed too much when ordering this option. The most valuable attribute of this system IMO would be aiding in backing into a campsite, but whenever the coach is placed in reverse or a turn signal is applied, the 360 view goes away and you only get one view based on what you are doing. I think it would be far more helpful to have the 360 view as well as the rear view displayed when in reverse. As it stands right now, I see no value in this rather pricey $2800 option. That’s a lot of beer money.

All of the negative Nellie stuff aside, it is an emotional experience to finally lay hands and eyes on something that has been little more than a concept for nearly seven months. We love this new coach and can’t wait to get the coolant issue resolved so we can move forward. Was FPU worth the $$$? I think it is valuable to have a dedicated tech on-call for a week who only works on Newmar coaches, not to mention the value and convenience of an on-site parts department that has everything needed. The Freightliner plot twist was unexpected, but that worked out okay, or at least it appeared to at the time.

409CC3DE-227E-4474-B43B-4112819D93F0.jpeg

9F3DD65A-3916-4C2C-924C-079FD8BD5FAD.jpeg

A1B3E430-6548-4506-A400-7AB2360BBBBF.jpeg

9EFF2649-D897-4F31-ACB3-B73FE52BBBFC.jpeg

90626E6E-6A39-4F9B-BBA0-D795678FA48D.jpeg

3E0BD086-8F11-4231-8362-DA189D4E6281.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new coach!

As for your coolant leak, I too had one but it was a Spartan chassis with an ISX12. The hose from the reservoir tank to the engine ran under the rear of the engine and back up on the drivers side. Right before the hose attaches to the engine it was rubbing against the block and there was a small hole. The loom was too short and didn’t cover the hose completely. I had the hose replaced, but the leak came back 6 months later. The clamp that holds the hose to the block wasn’t tight. Problem solved. Even though the coach is new, you may want to investigate this before going through the hassle of taking it to the shop.

Enjoy!

Congrats @Neemer - I’m sure you’re exhausted. Good job recognizing the leak on the concrete pad. 2-3 years into owning mine that check caught two issues for me. Water and oil. Fixed and all is good. You’re going to find a lot more in the months ahead. Keep your list and no issue is too small. Get your end of year appointment made now.

As to the coolant leak but more importantly what you’re filling with is critical. Make sure you are putting in what you have which is most likely OAT extended life coolant. Putting the wrong stuff in could be critical. Be sure to show FL what you’ve been topping off in case it’s wrong and needs to be flushed and refilled.

Keep your chin up. Enjoy that dream and you’ll get through this. It took me 3 years!!!

I’m leaving for a 7 hour leg so will be offline for a while.

Congrats. She’s beautiful!!!!

@Neemer - Congrats - beautiful coach. Enjoy. What happens to your old coach? I didn't know Newmar took trade-ins :unsure:

@Neemer - Congrats - beautiful coach. Enjoy. What happens to your old coach? I didn't know Newmar took trade-ins :unsure:
I had a local buyer whom I handed the coach off to. It worked out well for all concerned.

Congrats. Beautiful coach.

Beautiful coach, & fantastic color selection!!
Enjoy!!

Sharing my FPU story from June 2017:

I ordered my coach on impulse after visiting a local RV show one rainy weekend. Stepping inside a "bus" for the first time I was amazed at the space inside with slides out, a microwave, residential refrigerator, shower, washer/dryer, oh wow! After very little shopping and going straight to what my local dealer had at the to of their line a Newmar Ventana 4037 order was born. After 3 months of no sleep having never RV'd before wondering if I just made the biggest mistake of my life and wondering if I should forfeit my 10% deposit, I pursued.

I did a two day drive from Richmond, VA to Nappanee figuring I'd go straight to Newmar and get a peak prior to going over to Oakwood where I would spend a sleepless night the night before Newmaristmas. I drove to the Camp Newmar area slowly peaking around the corner nervous to find my coach, would I be happy or not? I checked each coach, mine wasn't there, I didn't know it would be hiding inside building 16. I met others and took a long tour of one person's 2015 DSDP learning of all their mods (probably where I got the virus) and the Amazon cart started growing out of control immediately. Mind you my new Chevy Colorado I had to buy for this as I couldn't tow my Honda Pilot was stuffed. Someone said don't get things until you need it. Yeah right! I've been shedding those unneeded and unused things for two years now!

Off to the hotel I went still with a pit in my stomach. I arrived at Camp Newmar the next morning and checked in. I was told to go to Building 16 and Jonas had his head sticking out the door withh a grin welcoming me. Nervous as can be! Walking through the front section to the back section and there she was! Wow was I amazed! What a presentation. I didn't want it to ever leave there, I would just camp right there. I told Jonas that I never had a RV before and was there to learn everything. I was introduced to Dennis who would be my victim for the week. Someone else was supposed to shadow him but that never happened.

I could not have been happier with the time and attention to detail Dennis had with me. We spent the entire first day on interior systems and checking every square inch, he found things I didn't which I was amazed. You'd think the typical business side is not going to mention problems if the customer doesn't find them...this was not the case. The first night you sleep in your coach (if you want) and of course I did. What an experience. I learned about the polished tiles when stepping out of the shower almost wiping out so bath rugs were critical acquired from the local Walmart. Day two was all exterior systems. Boy was I getting the fire hose treatment and trying to figure all this out, so new, so different. I flew fighters in the Air Force with cockpits littered with switches all around me, this was just like an aircraft having to learn all of the systems but without the intense training or manuals.

Day 3 they started fixing the findings and answering my repeated questions when I couldn't remember the answers. We finally went on the first drive, I did have the opportunity to test drive a Ventana prior to placing the order which was good and the salesman was great giving me tips. Wednesday afternoon I figured I'd better drive it so I went to Walmart with it. Terrifying! Even worse was having to back in at Camp Newmar into my site with all the experienced coach owners watching. No one was harmed in the parking of the coach! Day 4 I had some things installed such as SeeLevel and cellular booster antennas, WiFi ranger, etc. The RV satellite folks came from Elkhart to change DirecTV to Dish and introduce me to the costs of RV services oh boy! Day 5 was pretty much cleanup but I mentioned that the steering wheel didn't seem aligned properly so we went for a drive and that was corrected. I was cleared off and drove to the Air Force one place to get the coach side system installed which was way out of my way for the drive home, poor planning on my part but I did it. I boondocked on the side of their building which I had to back into in the dark which was equally as terrifying as before. I left later than expected and did an 11 hour drive home arriving around 1:30 AM but wired from the new coach'itis. I had to do a fuel stop and that was a challenge learning where I could get off and clear bridges and gas station overhangs, of course back then everything had to be 50 feet or higher! I made it to a TA and that was daunting going into a truck stop for the first time at around 11:30 at night and it was intimidating! I survived!

It was an absolutely amazing experience from meeting the other Newmar owners to the time with Dennis and Jonas and all the time they spent with me without even looking like they were tired of me! I asked other owners if tipping was allowed and the answer was typically do what you feel is right. So I tipped. I prefer living a life of generosity rather than leaving feeling like I should have done something or I didn't treat someone right. The moral is do what you feel is right, no one can even tell you an amount or what to do, that is up to you.

FPU was worth every penny due to the issues found that my local dealer would have taken months to figure out. Yes, it's unfortunate we pay to Q/A our own coach but it is worth it to leave with as near a perfect coach as possible. I will do a FPU for any and every coach in my future and will not think twice about it. There is so much value in this opportunity regardless of your experience in my opinion.
Neal, this is a great story that eases my mind. Thanks for sharing. I am looking at a January pick up and get to overnight in downtown Orlando. If the shortages don’t hit me. All the best.

Latest resources

Back