Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
Recently, we posted a thread about our Girard awning extending on its own while we were underway. We had talked with a Newmar customer service representative immediately after the unexpected awning deployment and they ably assisted us in deactivating the awning controller so this would not happen again as we completed our trip.. So far, so good.

When we reached our destination (two days after the event), I sent a summary of what happened and a request for corrective action to both Newmar and Girard. The following morning, I received a phone call from Girard’s Director of Sales and Service wanting more detail and assuring us that the company would make things right. He noted that he had talked to Newmar (and, to the specific customer service representative that had fielded our original call) before calling us. So, it was pretty obvious that both companies have seen my report and request for corrective action.

Girard told me that it was taking ownership of the problem and all future contacts about it should go to them. That was very much appreciated.

Where things went off the rails was that Newmar has, to date, not even acknowledged receipt of the my communication with them. I’m guessing it has just been assumed that since Girard has stepped up, the matter is being handled; and, it is. But as someone with an extensive background in corporate and customer communications, I am astounded that Newmar missed this golden opportunity to provide real customer service.

Were I in charge of Newmar’s customer service, I would have immediately responded with something like “Thank you for contacting us. We have been in touch with Girard Awnings and they would like to be the point of contact for resolving this issue. We are always concerned when one of our coach owners experiences a problem and know that our awning supplier, Girard, is also concerned when the problem involves one of its products. At Girard’s request, we ask that you communicate directly with them in getting the problem resolved. Thank you for being a Newmar customer.”

That simple step would have taken only a minute or two and would have closed the communications loop to the satisfaction of all parties involved. Quite apparently, Newmar just doesn’t understand the communications process. It is a bi-directional channel! And, I guess, it also doesn’t understand how this bi-directional communication can foster customer loyalty for its products. Pretty astounding...and sad!

TJ

Not surprised, sadly. My Girard awning deployed on its own volition in a Cummins bay my first few months of ownership in 2018. I met Mrs. Girard at a FMCA rally and she sent 5 guys to my site to take care of it and I've never had a problem since. I've read over the years this happening to others and yet Newmar has not been proactive by putting in a switch in the bay to turn them off rather than unplugging them. I quite frankly am surprised at their lack of innovativeness when it was and is such a simple and great opportunity to get ahead of this issue with a known problem. Maybe in 2023.....

@TJ&LadyDi, I’m sorry to hear that you are getting a similar experience to what I have encountered from Newmar over the last 18 months. I’d hoped that I’d irked someone at Newmar or perhaps, my coach wasn’t expensive enough for them to consider me a “valuable customer”, both of which could be things I I’d understand on at least some level.

But knowing how you operate and knowing that you have a much more expensive coach than I do, neither of my hypothesis seem to work.

So I really have to wonder what the heck gives. I’ve experienced almost none of the stellar customer service and experience I’d read about in posting after posting in 2018 and 2019 when evaluating my options and considering which manufacture to choose.

The only options I have left to consider is either that hundreds of not thousands of people on iRV2 were either liars or fools, or that the Winnebago purchase that happened just before I took delivery really threw everything Newmar was known for out the window. I lean towards the latter for obvious reasons.

Not surprised, sadly. My Girard awning deployed on its own volition in a Cummins bay my first few months of ownership in 2018. I met Mrs. Girard at a FMCA rally and she sent 5 guys to my site to take care of it and I've never had a problem since. I've read over the years this happening to others and yet Newmar has not been proactive by putting in a switch in the bay to turn them off rather than unplugging them. I quite frankly am surprised at their lack of innovativeness when it was and is such a simple and great opportunity to get ahead of this issue with a known problem. Maybe in 2023.....
Why spend $1.25 per coach on a simple toggle switch that saves my customers considerable grief and increases safety when the supplier will take care of it after the fact.

@TJ&LadyDi it's unfortunate your step up into the Luxury line has been far from it. It makes me wonder what I will purchase next, Newmar or something else. Is there better, is there different? Newmar is what we know, sadly what we've learned is concerning and this behavior seems to have gone downhill for many. I personally have had great experiences with them with my 2017 and the years that followed, but I keep hearing stories in more recent years that is sad to hear for whatever the reason. When I was doing my mid 1st year warranty and repair, I think it was Nov 2017'ish I met a guy that got a King Aire. Adam I think was his name, he has been over on the other forum sharing his experiences which has been far far from what a "King Aire" owner would expect. I think he despises his purchase and it didn't live up to the price back then. I know someone posted a few videos of that couple that bought the Kountry Star which I've refrained from commenting on as I have my opinions on that saga. Attitude is important, and how you treat people, none of which are in your situation, but in some cases that makes the experience far worse than it needs to be.

We know Newmar is reading this forum and I hope someone can take the feedback offered by the members here to heart and make improvements. The after hours help line has proven time and again to be a failure in at least the last year, I read another story of it today on the Newmar Facebook group where someone reached a support gal at Newmar who was not trained or knowledgeable to handle the call. There are a few standouts such as Erica Miller who is outstanding from my experience on the Ventana side, the e-mail point of contacts for parts, estimates, and scheduling are all outstanding (Kudos to Joe, Phil, Devon, Ryan, etc.).

I hope those of you that are affected by this problem or have to be worried about your super expensive awnings on high line coaches can work to push Newmar to get resolution. Yes, as stated by someone else my lowly Ventana has an awning on/off rocker switch in my overhead control center. All coaches should have this, it's a super simple disconnect. Carefree awnings such as on my coach also have remotes, I've never seen an unintended deployment but I also keep my system powered off with the above mentioned rocker switch when under way and typically it remains off until intended use.

Hang in there but again, I'm sorry to hear yet again of major issue with your Mountain Aire and on top of that failed customer service from Newmar such as your step issue, etc.

It pains me to read about this, coming my experience with the Awning Mount Debacle, which was the last straw for us.

These problems have NOTHING to do with the intolerable excuse of “well, keep in mind these things are hand made and under go an 8.0 earthquake every time they go dothe road.” Phooey!!

The odd thing is that this is the second MAJOR issue that has to do with Girard.

But, I just could not endure the apathy, poor forward direction, and TERRIBLE communications not just with customers, but between service and production!! From a simple problem of 30 stripped bay door screws to awning mounts incorrectly located…there should have been AN IMMEDIATE interruption in production after being notified of the problem by service!! Instead, we become the field beta testers; and, for $375k…I refuse.

If Newmar really reads this forum, how about sacking up and commenting? The goodwill created will be invaluable. We have a precedent for that. All one has to do is observe how Brett Davis handles missed opportunities by his team. It’s THE reason I chose NIRVC as my dealership.

Without addressing these issues, one can only conclude that no one gives a damn, and it’s impossible to understand how anyone at Newmar can be okay with that.

As Newmar transitions from Private entity to Corporate Subsidiary the culture will continue to change. Unfortunately today it is typically for the worse regarding customer service.
Especially in the case of large diverse Public Corporate Entities the broad brush of Corporate Axioms provide little guidance to the local employee.
Training is typically farmed out to 3rd party contractors, while potential competent, have little specific industry knowledge nor corporate history to maintain an established culture.
Newmar’s culture is not what it once was even a few years ago.

you just have to look at the earnings and get some answers. Growth is way up in towables and motorhome segments. Whenever I see ”strategic cost savings initiatives” I know that means “let’s not leave any money on the table”.

In the motorhome business, over 14k order backlog and EBITDA more than than tripled From Q2 20. if I take simple math, and say that each backlog order was worth $150,000 x 14,000 units that would equal $2.1 billion. EPS is up over 200%. The execs are going to get some great bonuses and stock compensation this year.

They are smiling all the way to the bank. As the famed character Gordon Gekko said “The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.”

1621604620986.png

Newmar is welcome to join on this site and participate as a Commercial member, something not allowed on other sites. I value business to consumer and vice versa communication which is why it is allowed here under constraints. I think everyone is finding excuses for Newmar's failures of recent years such as the Winnebago acquisition, or financial success. In my opinion the problem is the production increase and growth in the RV industry that has probably overwhelmed them on top of that probably the challenge of hiring. There are not enough RV techs nationwide, I know @NIRVC is hiring, I've seen their ads on Facebook. This has been a big problem for years and with the current situation of people not wanting to work that probably isn't helping. Then it comes to failures they probably aren't aware of unless they read sites like this and learn that the after hours phone support system is not working. Otherwise how will they know? Did I follow up and tell them I tried to call in and it went to a full voicemail box? No. Do others that don't get a call back or receive no help actually report this to someone? I bet not. So there is no feedback system, also a downfall of Newmar, to make them aware of the shortcomings. So they are operating under "ignorance is bliss" and probably not aware of many of our frustrations and experiences "I believe" but I could be wrong. Some people don't have the time, desire, or want to put in the effort to help correct a failure. It's up to Newmar and Winnebago to put a team in place to address this by surveying customers as this will help sales, wait a minute, they don't have a problem with sales...so that's why!

I welcome Girard to join the site as a Commercial Member and participate in discussions like this as there are shortcomings that need to be addressed and it appears they do want to communicate with their customers. Why is Girard not onsite with Newmar testing their installation and electronics guidance? It costs them money in the end when not followed, they need to do periodic checks on coaches coming out of Newmar with their systems. They are making a lot of money off of their product, they need to ensure it's installed and operating as designed or a redesign is warranted.

Latest resources

Back