Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar needs to pay attention to what newer customers are saying about their service.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DHudson

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 3858
RV Length
38 ft
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
No
Granted, I will never be able to afford a new coach more than likely. However, there are potential buyers watching and reading the same things I watch and read.
It doesn't take much to see that customer perception of customer service (or lack of) has fallen off quite a bit the last few years.
I searched out a used Newmar based on what I had read about quality build and customer service. I will say, I have been impressed with the service I have received from their parts dept. and the person that offered and sent me a build sheet of a 20 year old coach at no charge.
But, I see more and more videos and stories saying that issues are not being resolved in a timely manor now. I just think they need to address this issue before they start loosing customers.
I know this last year was a year from deep within Hell for every company out there, but companies need to devote manpower to their customer base to keep the communication line open. That is what I here most from customers. No prompt response from customer service. Customers call for help and have to leave a call back number. Then it takes forever to receive a returned call. I for one HATE automated answering systems. It goes a LONG way with me if I call a company and get "ABC Company, how may I direct your call?"
Here is a video from a "lost" customer because of lack of service.

Granted, I will never be able to afford a new coach more than likely. However, there are potential buyers watching and reading the same things I watch and read.
It doesn't take much to see that customer perception of customer service (or lack of) has fallen off quite a bit the last few years.
I searched out a used Newmar based on what I had read about quality build and customer service. I will say, I have been impressed with the service I have received from their parts dept. and the person that offered and sent me a build sheet of a 20 year old coach at no charge.
But, I see more and more videos and stories saying that issues are not being resolved in a timely manor now. I just think they need to address this issue before they start loosing customers.
I know this last year was a year from deep within Hell for every company out there, but companies need to devote manpower to their customer base to keep the communication line open. That is what I here most from customers. No prompt response from customer service. Customers call for help and have to leave a call back number. Then it takes forever to receive a returned call. I for one HATE automated answering systems. It goes a LONG way with me if I call a company and get "ABC Company, how may I direct your call?"
Here is a video from a "lost" customer because of lack of service.

We had an unfortunate ooops 2 weeks ago on the way to the Outer Banks in our Newmar. Took off the passenger mirror. No problem, a repair guy on site would fix it within the week we were there. Of course, that didn't pan out. On a Thursday afternoon (3:45 p.m.), I called Newmar, and had to leave a message for parts. Within 10 minutes, I had a call back and spoke to Ian. With my VIN #, he had the correct mirror. However as with many remote locations, he didn't think the mirror would arrive until Monday. I was mortified! Ian said, "give me a minute and let me see if I can find a freight person who hasn't left yet." I waited maybe 10 minutes before he came back on the line. He had found someone, pulled the mirror and had the shipping bill ready for the box. On Friday we received the correct mirror, 4 bolts, and we were good to go. So very grateful!!! Sorry others have note had the same experience!

We had an unfortunate ooops 2 weeks ago on the way to the Outer Banks in our Newmar. Took off the passenger mirror. No problem, a repair guy on site would fix it within the week we were there. Of course, that didn't pan out. On a Thursday afternoon (3:45 p.m.), I called Newmar, and had to leave a message for parts. Within 10 minutes, I had a call back and spoke to Ian. With my VIN #, he had the correct mirror. However as with many remote locations, he didn't think the mirror would arrive until Monday. I was mortified! Ian said, "give me a minute and let me see if I can find a freight person who hasn't left yet." I waited maybe 10 minutes before he came back on the line. He had found someone, pulled the mirror and had the shipping bill ready for the box. On Friday we received the correct mirror, 4 bolts, and we were good to go. So very grateful!!! Sorry others have note had the same experience!
THAT is the kind of response that that will keep NEWMAR #1 in the motorhome industry!

Newmar’s customer service can be good; or, it can be horrid. Sadly, it is not alone. Spartan and Cummins (2 major coach component makers) can be in the same boat.

Just recently, we called Spartan for emergency assistance and were told to leave a number for a “callback) which never happened. So, I called Newmar and after a 25-minute wait was connected to a real person. I explained the problem and asked if he had a “back door” into Spartan. It took about 3 minutes and he had a Spartan rep on the line. The situation was resolved.

So, there is an example of both “good” and “horrid” customer service in dealing with the same issue. I feel that the “pandemic” has been used by companies to avoid taking responsibility. “It is the pandemic’s fault, not ours.”

As long as there are people willing to overlook lousy service and support, companies have no incentive to improve things. We have received more than our fair share of problems and the associated “lousy service and support.” Enough that we will soon be leaving the RV world. Too many issues that make life miserable for us to continue.

TJ

Newmar’s customer service can be good; or, it can be horrid. Sadly, it is not alone. Spartan and Cummins (2 major coach component makers) can be in the same boat.

Just recently, we called Spartan for emergency assistance and were told to leave a number for a “callback) which never happened. So, I called Newmar and after a 25-minute wait was connected to a real person. I explained the problem and asked if he had a “back door” into Spartan. It took about 3 minutes and he had a Spartan rep on the line. The situation was resolved.

So, there is an example of both “good” and “horrid” customer service in dealing with the same issue. I feel that the “pandemic” has been used by companies to avoid taking responsibility. “It is the pandemic’s fault, not ours.”

As long as there are people willing to overlook lousy service and support, companies have no incentive to improve things. We have received more than our fair share of problems and the associated “lousy service and support.” Enough that we will soon be leaving the RV world. Too many issues that make life miserable for us to continue.

TJ
I hear you, I am really fed you with NAPA and their suppliers using "COVID" as a excuse for everything. I place a $6,000.00 order for brake pads on day and $4,000.00 order for filters the next day. I'm in Texas and both orders came out of Georgia. Different suppliers. Filters got delivered in 4 days, although about 25% of it was backordered (COVID). A week later, I called about the brake order and the guy told me "Ya, is see the order, we'll get to it in a week or so." I ask if there was a problem with personnel or shortage of product, he said "no, we just haven't pulled it yet. COVID has slowed us done." That's when I became "un-nice". Had my order in 3 days. About 20% of it backordered. (COVID)

With the overwhelming amount of new RV sales over the last year+ I’m sure Newmar, like others are having a very difficult time growing service support with qualified individuals quick enough to keep pace. You can bet they are working very hard to get resources in place to meet customer needs

Since picking up this coach in April, I have phoned customer service on four occasions, all on weekends. All but one were non-emergencies, so I left voicemails. My voicemails resulted in phone calls from them on Monday during the morning hours. The one incident on a Sunday morning I deemed an emergency resulted in a conversation with Mary who was in her car driving home from visiting her parents. She pulled off the road, pulled out her manual, and walked me through a couple of troubleshooting steps that fixed the problem.

So far, I am pleased with the support provided.

Since picking up this coach in April, I have phoned customer service on four occasions, all on weekends. All but one were non-emergencies, so I left voicemails. My voicemails resulted in phone calls from them on Monday during the morning hours. The one incident on a Sunday morning I deemed an emergency resulted in a conversation with Mary who was in her car driving home from visiting her parents. She pulled off the road, pulled out her manual, and walked me through a couple of troubleshooting steps that fixed the problem.

So far, I am pleased with the support provided.
Your experience reflects that of mine back in 2019.

I am glad that the responses on here are mostly positive. YouTube and google tends to suggest content based off what you are watching, so my preception may be skewed somewhat.
However, I would take these incidents very serious and make sure they keep doing a good job.
Stay the one the others are chasing.

The owner of the King Aire (2018) didn't seem to understand how his systems work. His complaint was that he could not leave it sitting unplugged without it killing the battery.

It did have 1 bad inverter module, so that may have assisted.

More likely, it was not configured to use SOC, and was rather using battery voltage to start the gen. Newmar's of all years have terrible setups for battery management. The newell has the same system many of us have installed, a true SOC BMK setup. That Newell is much more of a shore queen than the kingaire ever was. None of these are designed to be boon dockers for long term.

The guy knows a lot about AV systems, and I really like his idea of using a priority cut out for audio. I am going to be re-wiring my DSDP (if I don't sell) to use the same priorities for the overhead and televator.

This was most likely his first RV, and he had a lot of learning to do.

Latest resources

Back