Dutch Star
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ram
Fulltimer
Yes
Pulled into a campground. Went to deploy the FW slide. It moved to the point it rotates and stopped.
Then I noticed I had no power at all. The ignition switch does nothing. No dash lights or ability to start. Contacted AZPete of HWH. He suggested the chassis batteries didn't have enough capacity. I agreed since they are 2016 batteries. Bought two new batteries and installed them.
No change. I believe I have a blown fuse somewhere. Any ideas where I should look. I've got 12 volts past the battery disconnect but don't know where I should go from here.
Thanks for any help.

Check bay under driver's seat, front driver's side is all the chassis fuse work.

Start here (pic). If you have power beyond the disconnect switch at the batteries, you should have it here. Then pull the covers off the boxes and look at the lists for likely major fuses or 12v breakers. Since you had power and then all stopped, as Neal said, thats most likely where you’ll find the problem. Also even if your chassis batteries were still working it was time to change them so I wouldnt consider that wasted $$/effort. I just changed mine even though I had no trouble with them. They were 2015 batteries in a 2016 coach and it was time.

Attachments

• 06AB7D27-6F3B-472A-B683-C225310C16FD.jpeg
    06AB7D27-6F3B-472A-B683-C225310C16FD.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 28
Thanks Neal and Rich W. I'm looking.

I have new batteries as of last night.
Checked the small standard fuses. Pulled out the larger rectangular items. Are these a type of fuse also. If so how do I check them? They have 5 pins.

Attachments

• 20220823_104452.jpg
    20220823_104452.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 7
I believe they are self resetting. Have you verified voltage is getting to that box? Did you take a picture of the wiring of the batteries to ensure the new ones are wired exactly the same AND the master cutoff is ON?

Paging Dr. @Chuggs

Got 12 volts up front where Rich W suggested I check to start. Took pics first of the fuses. Got a meter and removing fuses one at a time. So far no bad ones.

Have you tried killing all power chassis and house for one minute (shore power and gen off) then power back up and see what happens?

Yep. Did that first thing after replacing the batteries last night. Can't seem to find a blown fuse. I'll keep looking.

All is good now. I called Newmar and talked to Mike. Explained how I lost power while deploying the FWS.
He immediately said one of the two 150 Amp fuses in the chassis battery bay is blown. Removed the cover in the bay and sure enough one was blown.
I did have power up front in the bay under the driver's seat but only on one set of the heavy cables. I should have asked Rich for a little more info. My bad.
The 150 amp fuses are located in the top right corner.
Tried to upload two pics but doesn't look like it happened.

Latest resources

Back