• Commercial/Vendors welcome

No power to electric water heater

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It is common for water heaters to be on a solo GFCI circuit. You may have popped your GFCI. Check your main circuit breaker panel for a re-setable GFCI. Usually a little white button.

What kind of RV do you have?

Thanks for the reply.
I have 120 at the breaker. My volt detector indicates power on the wire from the panel to the entry into the floor behind panel but volt detector and meter indicate no power on wire where it comes out of the floor to outlet. Wondering if another component such as in circuit gfi or other may be the issue.

Thanks for the reply.
I have 120 at the breaker. My volt detector indicates power on the wire from the panel to the entry into the floor behind panel but volt detector and meter indicate no power on wire where it comes out of the floor to outlet. Wondering if another component such as in circuit gfi or other may be the issue.

A GFCI can be anywhere on the circuit. Although the water heater is usually on its own circuit I would check other GFCI’s in the coach.

Also, not sure if the coach is new to you or not. But many coaches (including ours) had two switches in series for the water heater. One on the water heater and one in the bathroom area.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.
T

There is no GFI breaker, just regular breaker at which i have power. This breaker has tripped in the past. Have a feeling a screw may have pierced the wire causing the breaker to trip while burning and causing the circuit to open. I have no continuity from connection at breaker to the outlet on the hot (black) wire.
There are 2 switches, one on control panel and one on water heater. Plugging water heater into another circuit it goes through both these switches and works fine.
Not sure if there is another component between the breaker panel but i dont think so.

It sounds like you have a good handle on logical fault finding procedures. Hang in there. You’ll find it. Wish I could have been more help. Let us know what it was when you find it.

John.

Latest resources

Back