RV Model
Allegro Open Road 36 LA
RV Length
37'
TOW/TOAD
2021 Chevy Colorado LT 4x4
Fulltimer
Yes
We opted to not order our MH with a satellite dish. We have Roku at home and plan to use this on the MH and also plan to purchase an HDTV antenna and tripod mount. We don’t plan on being in the boonies much as we are glampers rather than campers so we should always be fairly close to major cities and have good internet and be able to pick up the local channels with the antenna. Did we make mistake by not getting the satellite installed?

I guess my first question is where will your constant reliable internet service come from to stream the roku? Being close to "major cities" will certainly enable you to receive free over the air local channels, which you could get using the standard OEM antenna that 99% of RVs come with. Having an over-the-air HD antenna on a tripod in a campground probably won't give you very good reception IMHO.

We have unlimited data with our T-Mobile Magenta Plan and plan use our phone(s) as a hot spot for internet. I have seen several reviews on HDTV antennas that are generally very positive unless your out in the boonies and for $100, it seems worth it to me.

I suppose if you end up having decent tower strength with a T-Mobile device (phone/hotspot) then you should be good to go streaming all month. We have never been T-Mobile customers, only Verizon. However, there are different areas we find in our travels that even though we may have a Verizon signal and are close to a major interstate there is only 1 or 2 bars. For example, we are camped in Paducah KY right now for 4 nights. The CG is about 1/2 of a mile off of I-24 and sometimes we have one bar and sometimes 2. Our hotspots do not work very good here at all, not sure why.

My suggestions on getting local channels would be to wait until you are in your coach and see what kind of reception you experience with the rooftop OEM antenna that comes with it. You can always purchase an HD antenna and tripod later if you still think it would be better.

Thanks. Appreciate your response. We did purchase the WIFI booster so I guess time will tell if that will work for us.

No problem. Good luck with your adventure. We LOVE being on the road!

Latest resources

Back