• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ChrisXLS23BHE

RVF Newbee
Good morning,
I am new to the RV world and just purchased a grand design 2021 XLS 23 BHE. We are located near Philly/PA and the goal is to go West and was curious if there are other sites rather than the public camp grounds? One thing I have learned fast is that around here camp grounds sell out fast and well in advance. So if we decide 3 weeks from now to hit the road we would be out of luck, at least around here, finding a spot. I would like to boon dock since we have solar and a generator. I would prefer to also avoid the congested camp grounds as well so i am curious if there are other apps or resources to find locations that allow someone to boon dock or contact a land owner to see if we could park for the night or several nights.
Also, are there resources or services where we could have someone haul our camper to a site and bring it home? Traveling from PA to CO is a 24 hr drive so between the to/from drive we lost 2 days and it is difficult for us to get a lot of time off from work and life.

Thank you!

Harvest host (affiliated with boondockers welcome now) is also an option.

Welcome. First of all, even though you have some solar and a generator you will still need to find places to dump your tanks plus take on some water every few days. The app RVParky not only shows private and public camp sites but it brings up places you can dry camp. There are a few Harvest Host sites scattered around the country but they are usually well off the major interstates and it sounds like you don't want to waste a lot of time in your cross country traveling days.

As far as hiring someone to transport your RV, there are commercial transporters out there but it will be expensive my friend.

Just re-read your post.
Are there ways to have a RV transported. Yes, but they can be expensive.
Please look at this a bit differently than the speed runs you made in a car, dragging your rig you won't make that kind of time. I have a trip coming up from VA to NV, we are taking 8 days to make the trip, and even that is more miles a day than we normally run.

down load RVParky and lay out your trip. I would be a bit more conservative on your driving distances. You can find all kinds of places to stay, free or not. Focus on being safe and not just arriving quickly.

With towing an RV one should consider it to be leisure time. If one needs to get there fast, buy an airplane. We tow at 50 to 60 MPH on interstates that have a 70 MPH speed limit. I never travel more than 300 miles per day.

If you intend to travel at interstate speeds or more and push 500+ miles per day, be sure all of your insurance and legal documents are up to date. Just sayin'..........

I have a Hellcat to get there fast. I drove truck for over 25yrs and expect to drive slow with my 5th wheel. Enjoy the ride, the sites and people you meet on the way. I'm a newbie as well and hope RVing will be full of new people with open minds. It seems that may be hard to find. But I know that most Americans are great people that love this great Country. Smell the roses my friend before they turn to buck thorne.
TB

I have said this before under different threads, but it bears repeating. As we travel each year we always pass TTs and fivers pulled off on the shoulder with blown tires. Many times I recognize these units as ones that have ripped past us during the day, traveling 70 to 80mph. They are inexperienced RVers trying to pull those RVs past the speed limit on hot days. Many are overweight on the OEM tires so the tires get hot, build up pressure, and BAM......now they are sitting on the shoulder with a blown tire and damaged rig.

Bob is absolutely correct, enjoy the ride, smell the roses!

We do a lot of our camping at the Ohio State Parks, many are scenic with nice waterways (lakes, rivers & streams) - are the ones in PA too crowded for you to reserve?
I'm guessing that far north most campgrounds are closed now for the winter, esp. the water spigots.
Most go south for the warmer climates for camping during the winter. I'd be surprised if you find many between PA and CO that are still open, except for maybe the boondocking ones to which you alluded to.
Corp of engineers may be a place to start researching.

Easy answer for me. My rather elderly RV isn't speedy nor will I push it. Come time when I have to be somewhere in a hurry, as much as I love to drive it, plane tickets and hotel reservations it is.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back