Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Notice for German Shepherd and other large chested breed owners.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jim

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
I want to share some information that my save your dog’s life someday.

On Friday evening, Trish and I were getting ready to meet some friends in town for dinner. It was 4:30, Trish had just fed the dogs, and we were getting ready to walk out the door.

The phone rang and against Trish's warnings, I answered it anyway. It was Brian, and conversations with Brian always go 10-15 minutes! So, I told Brian right up front, I was getting ready to leave for dinner and to keep it short. Just then, Rex stiffened up, hunched his back, and got a very strange look in his face. I could tell he was in pain. Then he started to get sick. I opened the back door to let him out, but for some reason, Rex could not throw up. He kept trying, but nothing would come out. And it should have because he just finished eating.

So, I'll cut to the chase here. His tummy had flipped, and he was now in a countdown for his life. But I did not know it yet.

I looked at the Internet for info on why he would be trying to throw up but not be able to, and I found out that this is a hallmark symptom of a gastric torsion. We made it to our vet’s office but without the necessary equipment, he was unable to treat Rex. He did, however, get us an appointment at the Western Carolina Emergency Animal Hospital in Flat Rock, NC, about 2 hours from where we were.

We made it in record time. They took updated x-rays and confirmed it was gastric torsion and warned us that along with repairing his stomach, his spleen would probably have to be removed as well. They gave us these considerations because Rex is 11 and the surgery is expensive, and we might want to put the dog down rather than proceed. We told them they were wasting time and lets get on with it. They did an emergency surgery and at 10:30 pm and the surgeon said he felt it went well and that he was able to save Rex’s spleen as well. They sent us home.

The surgeon called the next morning and said Rex was doing well and if he continued to improve, he might be able to come home in a few days. The continued to give us 2 updates a day, and this morning, day 3, the surgeon called and said that Rex had done stellar well over the last few days and we could come pick him up this afternoon.

What I want everyone to take from this is, 1) if your dog exhibits these kinds of symptoms, get him/her help immediately. Time is of the essence! Once the tummy flips, and that is a common trend with large chested animals, they only have a few hours before the damage is too extensive to be reversed. And 2), do not feed your dog and then walk out the door, leaving him/her unattended. Give them some time to settle their food. Had Brian not called, we would have gone to dinner, and when we returned, Rex would have been too far gone to be saved.

We used to think that it was exercise (after eating) that caused the tummy to flip. And while that is certainly possible, it’s not the only thing that can cause the problem. Gas can form in the intestines, mostly after eating, and the inflated intestine pushes the stomach up and over, cutting off the blood supply to the organs in the immediate area. With no blood or oxygen, the organs die, and the dog will die shortly after.

We were lucky that we saw what was happening and got medical help as quickly as we did.

Wow, what a story, and I'm glad you made it in time. This happened to my brothers' dog, a Weimaraner, and fortunately made it to the vet in time as well. I'm glad you were there and able to take immediate action. Some of us know dogs are not dogs, they are children/family. Keep us posted!

Thank you for sharing. Was not aware of this before.
Happy that Rex made it and that you were there for him.

Jim, we're so glad the episode turned out OK! Best wishes to Rex for a rapid recovery.

Very happy with that outcome!

@Jim, praise God that this situation was caught in time to save Rex. We are so glad that he will be OK.

We had never heard of this complication in dogs and, since we have had mostly small dogs over the years, that may be the reason. Nevertheless, we appreciate learning about this and the need for immediate treatment.

We don’t leave our dogs alone after feeding and, always take them for a walk after they are finished eating. Your reminder reinforces that decision. Thanks for posting this most important information.

Again, we are glad to hear that Rex is recovering well.

TJ&LadyDi

Thank you very much everyone. We hope to pick him up this evening but when I called, the Dr. that makes the decisions was in surgery, so we're waiting to hear from her when she gets out.

I have heard of that. My brother's new pup, a Bernese Mountain Dog, had her stomach stapled in place. Its very common for them, so when they spay the females, they auto do it. He also was advised to only feed her in her crate, and she must rest there for a min of 30 minutes before being released.

You had my heart in my throat during your post. I'm glad that he will be OK, hopefully. That is just terrifying to witness, and heart wrenching to be waiting for the call. Keep us posted about Rex.

Thanks for sharing this. We are glad Rex is doing better.

Thanks for sharing! I hope Rex keeps doing well!

Latest resources

Back