Chassis
E450
Engine
7.3 gas
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford Ranger
Fulltimer
No
Any one here used this flat tow system. It is a little different.

I pull my 2010 Silverado ex cab 4x4 with an nsa hercules and ready brake.
I don't have anything to compare it to since it's my first flat tow set up.

I bought it because it looked simple and I got the whole package including baseplate, lights and diodes for $2000. I put it in myself. Quite a job to install but most of that was installing the supplied blue ox baseplate which I'd have to do with any system.

Used it going to Florida last fall, 1200 miles, and then back 1200 miles in May. No problems.

20211204_074917.jpg

Thanks. I am considering it. Seems good, surge break is what I had on the dolly. Over all cost is a big factor.

We've used the Ready Brute Elite tow bar on our 2017 Jeep Wrangler, our 2020 Jeep Gladiator, and I've just finished installing the brake cables on our 2022 Jeep Wrangler, but haven't had a chance to tow it yet. So far we've had no complaints.

We have used the Ready Brute Elite tow bar on our 2013 and 2016 Lincoln MKx's as well as our current 2020 Lincoln Nautilus. No problems at all. Our introduction to diesel pushers was back in 2015. To me the towbars were pretty cut and dry, my confusion came when considering which supplemental brake system to pursue. The Ready Brute Elite tow bar had the integrated surge brake system so that is why I purchased the NSA tow bar. I like the turnbuckle that @Fish has on his brake cable (black). Mine is one piece and requires an approximate 2" slack in the cable to operate properly. I have had to adjust cable clamps to achieve the 2" drop. The turnbuckle would certainly make that process easier. In the future if I have to replace my tow bar I will pursue NSA's 8,000 LB. supplemental RV surge brake #RB4000. This would provide me a braking system at just over $500 and allow me to use any brand tow bar I desired.
Happy and safe travels!

We have used the Ready Brute Elite tow bar on our 2013 and 2016 Lincoln MKx's as well as our current 2020 Lincoln Nautilus. No problems at all. Our introduction to diesel pushers was back in 2015. To me the towbars were pretty cut and dry, my confusion came when considering which supplemental brake system to pursue. The Ready Brute Elite tow bar had the integrated surge brake system so that is why I purchased the NSA tow bar. I like the turnbuckle that @Fish has on his brake cable (black). Mine is one piece and requires an approximate 2" slack in the cable to operate properly. I have had to adjust cable clamps to achieve the 2" drop. The turnbuckle would certainly make that process easier. In the future if I have to replace my tow bar I will pursue NSA's 8,000 LB. supplemental RV surge brake #RB4000. This would provide me a braking system at just over $500 and allow me to use any brand tow bar I desired.
Happy and safe travels!
Like I said, I bought the entire thing as a kit, lots of boxes and packages. Some still not used. I wrestled with the adjustment of the cable, setting up the system getting ready to go to Florida. Undo the clamps, adjust, redo. Huge pain.

I went back into my shop to get another tool and started looking through all the parts I had left, laid out on a table. I found the turnbuckle in a plastic bag with some other stuff along with the instructions on how to use it. Made things a lot easier.

Love ours below, installed myself and have no regrets at 3yrs of full time use. I purchased it because it was highly recommended on other forums.

I use the Hercules to tow my Sierra 2500. I like the peace of mind of the 12,000lb tow bar capacity. I also installed the supplied light on my dash and added a lever switch to the trucks brake pedal and wired through my 7 pin plug so I can see at a glance when the trucks brakes are actuated. I’ve had this setup for close to three years without any trouble.

I wouldn't call the NSA Ready Brute an "economy" tow bar - it's just a lesser known company. Check it out online and you'll see it's one of the better systems available.

Latest resources

Back