Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I have ITR OASIS in my Newmar Ventana but this discussion may apply to other systems of the same setup with electric heat elements and a diesel heat elements. In my OASIS CH-50M the electric elements are 5K BTU each (2 elements) and a 50K BTU diesel burner. My question for the gang here is when do you use which? This is also weather dependent as this is very different in summer heat vs. winter so lets focus on cold climates where we need house heat and hot water.

It seems to me that the electric burners can heat the house to an extent and I have no problems with electric only heat when in storage for winterization. I'm in Tucson and the nights are cold near freezing. As others I prefer not to burn diesel when I don't have to but the heating is much more efficient with the 50K BTU backed heating (diesel burner) so the fans run less, etc. Last night I was on electric heat only and I'm not sure it did so great possibly struggling to maintain my 70 deg setpoint (which is lower than most I assume, others probably like it warmer). I may have been cold because of the lower setpoint but the discussion still remains. What are your rules of thumb as to when you use diesel burner vs. electric heat for HEATING.

As for water, in the winter I always use diesel burner. I'll turn it on at least 10 prior to shower time such as when I take fido to do her business. Electric elements can work fine I just prefer unlimited very hot water. I probably need to test this again as I've spent far too much time not knowing that AC 2 wasn't working and recently finally fixed this saga by replacing the failed relay.

When do you use Electric vs. Burner in cold climate ops?

I never use electric unless I am not paying the electric bill. OK I'll put it another way. I wouldn't run a generator for heat.

I'm using the Oasis more like Neal, except that we have two small 1500W heaters to help, and sometimes We use the heat pumps. lots of options

Neal, even the best Electric heating system can’t keep up with cold temperatures and still keep your hot water hot.

Yes, floor heat helps a lot. But, my rule of thumb has been to keep the burner on when temps are below 45°.

In fact, just a couple nights ago, my water was only like warm after having JUST my electric heat on for the night...temps were in the high 30’s and it wa too much for it to handle.

I use the Oasis when outside temps get below 45F. I find using only AC1/AC2 it takes too long to heat up the coach to 73F in the morning, which is our preferred inside temperature. Overnight we have the thermostat set to 60F.

I hadn't heard of a temp at which to use diesel burner over electric heat elements (not heat pump but AC I/II). Interesting rule of thumb I'll take into consideration going forward. Thx

Hey @Neal Keep an eye on the weather map. When the high we are experiencing in Yuma passes the winds may be a problem for high profile.

I hadn't heard of a temp at which to use diesel burner over electric heat elements (not heat pump but AC I/II). Interesting rule of thumb I'll take into consideration going forward. Thx

One thing to consider in making this sort of decision is the relative thermal output of the diesel burner and its electric backups. In the case of my Hurricane, the burner is rated at 45,000 BTUs and one should assume that it has a thermal efficiency of ~60-70%. At 60% it is providing ~27,000 BTUs/hr. By comparison, the Comfort Hot heaters which I had installed to provide an electric backup were designed to operate off of a 20A circuit so I'll assume they provide roughly 2000 watts each of heating. Electric resistance heating is usually assumed to be 100% efficient. That means the electric heaters provide just under 14,000 BTUs/hr of heat. So the electric backup is providing ab0ut 50% of the energy of the diesel burner.

I've had no problem using the electric heaters down to ~28-30F but below that either supplementary room heaters are needed or I have to turn on the diesel. Just the other day I was able to demonstrate that my new heat pumps will operate well down to ~40F but they shut down entirely at 35F or below.

The electric heat has been working fine at around 36'ish outside. I just think they'll run longer to get to setpoint as the heat output is not as hot.

What is Comfort Hot Heater? I can’t find these.

Latest resources

Back