Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved OASIS Saga Part Deux (bad relay)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
About 1.5 years into my RV journey with my new 2017 Newmar Ventana I had the far too common electrical short from a bad wiring job by whomever installs the OASIS units. The issue as reported in another post results from the two 120V lines coming into the junction "chamber" which is really not of sufficient size causing wires to get their insulation scraped and then the use of wire nuts which can come loose. I solved that saga in round 1 by redoing the top wiring. In around February of this year, nearly 3 years into my journey I realized AC 2 wasn't working. You may think yours is working but it may in fact not be working if you don't verify with the voltage drop per this thread. I got on the horn with ITR to troubleshoot the AC 2 issue and found a second short under the hour meter. It initially didn't work but after jiggling the 3rd relay back which is AC 2 it then worked. That leads into the current saga.

When leaving on this journey a little over a week ago I realized AC 2 was not drawing amps. I opened it up and inspected wiring and after a bit of time ITR and I decided the relay must be bad. 12V wiring voltmeter tested good as well as the 120V lines. I ordered several relays from ITR and of course nothing goes smooth, I call for the tracking number today to see when to expect them and UPS can't deliver. Nice of UPS to convert the ground shipment sent on the 23rd to UPS next day air but instead it sat in their facility here in Austin because this is one of those campgrounds where deliveries have to come to your site and they don't take it to the office, don't ask me why! So dawg and I trek'd to UPS to pick it up to resolve this before tomorrow's big storm.

The relay is different from the one that was installed so another call to ITR. In essence, 12V wires on the small spades, 120V on the larger spades, orientation doesn't matter. AC 2 is now working. You can see in the picture below of the bad relay obviously the spade severed from the board within.

relays-annotated.jpg

bad-relay.jpg

In this process AC 1 actually died on me so I had called to get more relays on the way, they're cheap and they're also cheap plastic parts. I wasn't happy with my wiring as I did take most of the connectors apart initially to reinspect and one came apart during that process. I went to amazon to look at alternate options for wire nuts and ordered the lever locks. I redid all of the wiring and used the level locks backed up with electrical tape.

It's always nice to learn how to fix things like this yourself otherwise you're going to be in upwards of 4 digits in RV mobile repair costs. It has been quite a lot of my time wasted as I do work from my RV but I'm glad to have this resolved and hopefully to never fail again.

One note as I've mentioned in the past. To gain easier access to the electricals in the OASIS unit there are three screws holding the front shroud on at 3 12 and 9 o'clock. Loosen (do not remove) those screws and they are key slotted holes. Lift up then pull forward to remove. It can be hard to remove as the paint sort of welded itself in place.

Not an overly complicated system and the phone support by ITR is a huge help otherwise it would have to go to an expert for repair. Glad to have the burner off in the hot TX weather. Case closed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XH6WW4D/?tag=rvf01-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGYXVXR/?tag=rvf01-20

lever-nut-2.png

lever-nut-3.png

One other item of note. When turning the two OASIS heater breakers off in the half bath the EMS shows bad wiring. With breakers on it shows OK. Anyone else want to turn your two breakers off and see if yours does the same? Maybe Dr. @Chuggs who has a Ph.D. in Tronology can figure out what's going on with the trons here?

ems-error.jpg

I redid all of the wiring and used the level locks backed up with electrical tape.
Did you take any photos of the lever locks in place? Are they more compact than the wire nuts?

TJ

You can actually see one wrapped in black electrical tape in the pic with the 3 relays and red arrow. It's near the top. It's easier to wire reliably and they can stack together as they are narrower but I'm not sure one is more compact than the other, they are just shaped differently. It was still a tight fit to push all the wires into the small area.

About 1.5 years into my RV journey with my new 2017 Newmar Ventana I had the far too common electrical short from a bad wiring job by whomever installs the OASIS units. The issue as reported in another post results from the two 120V lines coming into the junction "chamber" which is really not of sufficient size causing wires to get their insulation scraped and then the use of wire nuts which can come loose. I solved that saga in round 1 by redoing the top wiring. In around February of this year, nearly 3 years into my journey I realized AC 2 wasn't working. You may think yours is working but it may in fact not be working if you don't verify with the voltage drop per this thread. I got on the horn with ITR to troubleshoot the AC 2 issue and found a second short under the hour meter. It initially didn't work but after jiggling the 3rd relay back which is AC 2 it then worked. That leads into the current saga.

When leaving on this journey a little over a week ago I realized AC 2 was not drawing amps. I opened it up and inspected wiring and after a bit of time ITR and I decided the relay must be bad. 12V wiring voltmeter tested good as well as the 120V lines. I ordered several relays from ITR and of course nothing goes smooth, I call for the tracking number today to see when to expect them and UPS can't deliver. Nice of UPS to convert the ground shipment sent on the 23rd to UPS next day air but instead it sat in their facility here in Austin because this is one of those campgrounds where deliveries have to come to your site and they don't take it to the office, don't ask me why! So dawg and I trek'd to UPS to pick it up to resolve this before tomorrow's big storm.

The relay is different from the one that was installed so another call to ITR. In essence, 12V wires on the small spades, 120V on the larger spades, orientation doesn't matter. AC 2 is now working. You can see in the picture below of the bad relay obviously the spade severed from the board within.

In this process AC 1 actually died on me so I had called to get more relays on the way, they're cheap and they're also cheap plastic parts. I wasn't happy with my wiring as I did take most of the connectors apart initially to reinspect and one came apart during that process. I went to amazon to look at alternate options for wire nuts and ordered the lever locks. I redid all of the wiring and used the level locks backed up with electrical tape.

It's always nice to learn how to fix things like this yourself otherwise you're going to be in upwards of 4 digits in RV mobile repair costs. It has been quite a lot of my time wasted as I do work from my RV but I'm glad to have this resolved and hopefully to never fail again.

One note as I've mentioned in the past. To gain easier access to the electricals in the OASIS unit there are three screws holding the front shroud on at 3 12 and 9 o'clock. Loosen (do not remove) those screws and they are key slotted holes. Lift up then pull forward to remove. It can be hard to remove as the paint sort of welded itself in place.

Not an overly complicated system and the phone support by ITR is a huge help otherwise it would have to go to an expert for repair. Glad to have the burner off in the hot TX weather. Case closed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XH6WW4D/?tag=rvf01-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGYXVXR/?tag=rvf01-20

View attachment 4753

View attachment 4754

One other item of note. When turning the two OASIS heater breakers off in the half bath the EMS shows bad wiring. With breakers on it shows OK. Anyone else want to turn your two breakers off and see if yours does the same? Maybe Dr. @Chuggs who has a Ph.D. in Tronology can figure out what's going on with the trons here?

Neal, for the display to show correct readings, ALL the breakers on the main panel MUST BE ON.

I don't have an oasis in my Ventana LE. I'm really not sure what Im missing but with all the issues I'm hearing about I'm kind of glad I don't have one. Whats so special about them?

I don't have an oasis in my Ventana LE. I'm really not sure what Im missing but with all the issues I'm hearing about I'm kind of glad I don't have one. Whats so special about them?
Unlimited hot water for one thing!

TJ

It’s a great system but Newmar doesn’t do the best installing them. Two 5000 BTU electric heat elements and a 50k BTU diesel burner makes for wonderful heat and unlimited hot water without the worry of propane.

Love my Oasis. Never have had a problem. Probably the only thing I haven't had an issue with. ?

Thanks. I would love a better heating system to include "heated floors" but I only have the two heat pumps and two propane furnaces. The propane furnaces are loud when they fire up and are a PITA when trying to sleep but it is warm air. We have never had an issue running out of hot water ..... yet. :).

The Ventana LE is a nice coach (our first Class A) but Im starting to understand the price difference between the LE and the next level. Maybe one day.

The Ventana LE is a nice coach (our first Class A) but Im starting to understand the price difference between the LE and the next level. Maybe one day.
I went 3 years wondering about "the next level" and even last night was telling myself how much I love my coach. Making it your own is key. The mods I did made my coach better than anything I could imagine buying. If I bought something else it would only be for storage space for fulltiming. The are pro's and con's to all. The grass is not always greener, appreciate what you have and make it yours and love it.

Latest resources

Back