Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RPCcompass

RVF Regular
The new Cummins Onan 4000 generator (5 hrs) on my Compass B+ is hard to start. When running the RPM oscillates, particularly at light loads. I have pulled the fuel line to the carburetor and seem to be getting good flow. Have not tried cleaning the carb or a new full filter. Suggestions? Is there a good troubleshooting guide.......Cummins tech support have been quick, but their suggestions have not helped.

What he said^^^ Surging is a function of carburation. Either the governor is way out of adjustment or the carb is plugged in the Idle circuit. This causes it to die on idle, governor opens throttle allowing increased air flow pulling gas in from the main jet. Then it dies and does it again.

What he said^^^ Surging is a function of carburation. Either the governor is way out of adjustment or the carb is plugged in the Idle circuit. This causes it to die on idle, governor opens throttle allowing increased air flow pulling gas in from the main jet. Then it dies and does it again.
I will try a carb cleaner. The units at unused for about 5 months. It ran fine for an hour about a week ago.....when I started it up day before yesterday is when it started oscillating.

They should be run every couple of weeks. DO NOT use ethanol gasoline in an engine that will set. Most carb cleaners will not touch the stuff that forms with ethanol. I have had some success with Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil......your mileage may vary. Techron is a carbon cutter but not what is plugging the carb. So many generators are failing with similar problems that I suspect dirt or debris from installing them is at play. But many of them set to long. Tod Henson of NRVTAA did a tech tip Tue. on Youtube last week about this.

They should be run every couple of weeks. DO NOT use ethanol gasoline in an engine that will set. Most carb cleaners will not touch the stuff that forms with ethanol. I have had some success with Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil......your mileage may vary. Techron is a carbon cutter but not what is plugging the carb. So many generators are failing with similar problems that I suspect dirt or debris from installing them is at play. But many of them set to long. Tod Henson of NRVTAA did a tech tip Tue. on Youtube last week about this.
I don't use ethanol on any of my small engines, but the Onan draws from my RV gas tank. I had to have my home generator carb redone several years ago because of ethanol. Thanks for the advice, May end up taking it into the shop.

I'm sure you are aware that "built in" RV generators that pull from the gas tank have "limiters" that will shut down the unit if your gas tank is low. Mine will do it when slightly below half full. Make sure you keep your tank full and eliminate that as a possibility. Some generators will oscillate a bit with no load. Make sure that when you get it started you give it something to do 😉 Run the coffee maker or hair dryer ! Good luck

I'm sure you are aware that "built in" RV generators that pull from the gas tank have "limiters" that will shut down the unit if your gas tank is low. Mine will do it when slightly below half full. Make sure you keep your tank full and eliminate that as a possibility. Some generators will oscillate a bit with no load. Make sure that when you get it started you give it something to do 😉 Run the coffee maker or hair dryer ! Good luck
Vehicle tank is almost full....good supply going to the carburetor. Oscillation reduces when I load with AC, but still oscillates. Other day it shutdown on it's own. Couple of weeks ago it ran well for an hour. While running i can see the linkage responding.

Have you tried adjusting the carburetor ? I'm certain you have tried it all🤔 Is your's the "micro quiet" ?

Latest resources

Back