Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

ONAN Generator revving up and down at idle then shuts off after 3-4 minutes.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Forest River 3051

RVF Newbee
Hi folks, my name is Brian and I just recently purchased a 2021 new forest River Forester Classic model 3051sf.
I have had so many problems already it’s not funny.
Today and lately the weather here in Indiana has been and is cold so I went out to start the rv and the generator to let them run for a bit and thought maybe we would work inside with furnace running.
Problem I have is it took forever to get it started but when it did it was just revving up and down and I can watch the choke arms move back and forth and cause it to run bad and after 5 minutes it will just die. This generator now has .3 tenths of run time on it. Is it possibly just so cold outside and the cold air going across the unit cause that? I know people that go down the road with rv on and rv full time….but anything is possible. Not super mechanically inclined but any ideas would be much appreciated. Oh also when it was running at one point the smell of gas was strong near the generator like it was flooded!

What model ONAN is it? Have you contacted the dealer you purchased it from as I assume it's under warranty.

I assume it is under warranty also but you can’t get into a service department around hear for at least a month and then they are so short handed that they have people filling the position with less knowledge then me. I don’t have the model number of generator other then it’s the standard Cummins ONAN 4000 watt that is in all the ones that come in most class c.

Agree with Neal to take it in...but understand your dilemma. In the meantime I would do three things. First, check the oil level. IF low OR high there are sensors that will shut it down. Second, make sure you have AT LEAST half a tank of gasoline in the motorhome fuel tank. And last, I would simply keep starting the generator with the hopes that because it's new there's just a breaking-in period with a few hiccups. Good luck 😉

I assume it is under warranty also but you can’t get into a service department around hear for at least a month and then they are so short handed that they have people filling the position with less knowledge then me. I don’t have the model number of generator other then it’s the standard Cummins ONAN 4000 watt that is in all the ones that come in most class c.
ONAN is a Cummins product. Look for Cummins service centers near you and call them.

Thanks guys. I have checked gas it’s at almost Full and oil is good in generator. Is it possible it’s just doesn’t like extended time in the cold? Surely not…every small engine I ever had may have been hard to start but all when warmed up ran fine.
Is there anything to pull or press to shut the choke off?

Sounds to me like there is some junk in the carb. Something you can try if the generator has its own tank is run some sea foam through it.

Hi folks, my name is Brian and I just recently purchased a 2021 new forest River Forester Classic model 3051sf.
I have had so many problems already it’s not funny.
Today and lately the weather here in Indiana has been and is cold so I went out to start the rv and the generator to let them run for a bit and thought maybe we would work inside with furnace running.
Problem I have is it took forever to get it started but when it did it was just revving up and down and I can watch the choke arms move back and forth and cause it to run bad and after 5 minutes it will just die. This generator now has .3 tenths of run time on it. Is it possibly just so cold outside and the cold air going across the unit cause that? I know people that go down the road with rv on and rv full time….but anything is possible. Not super mechanically inclined but any ideas would be much appreciated. Oh also when it was running at one point the smell of gas was strong near the generator like it was flooded!
Brian, please see my post about Seafoam; it may work for you.

Latest resources

Back