Question Operating a pneumatic grease gun using an RV compressor as air source?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
CanyonStar
RV Length
39' 11"
TOW/TOAD
Demco KarKaddy 460SS and VW Passat
Considering a Lincoln pneumatic grease gun for maintenance and reading specs, the gun need 40 psi min and 150 psi max. I was not able to find a CFM consumption rating with a quick perusal of the User manual. Currently the RV has a Viair hard wired in a front basement space. An upgrade to a pancake type compressor using 110v could help out may be. Yes a pneumatic grease gun is Overkill for the sporadic DIY project, but that has never stop me before :)
My goal is to make any maintenance easy and convenient (may be even fun) . That way there is a better chance of getting it done on time, :😁

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Mountain Aire 4047
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2014 Honda CR-V
I wouldn't think the CFM for a grease gun would be all that much as air is basically being used to force grease through the gun. Not much volume there.

That said, I think the Viair is purely a compressor with no storage capacity, so it would be purely an air-in-air-out situation. The best I can suggest is to try it. If you re set on having a pneumatic grease gun, there's nothing to lose. Worst case is that you buy another compressor; something you are already prepared to do.

Why not try it with the on-board air? Lots of CFM there and if you only need 40 PSI to operate the gun, you should have plenty of pressure. Adding a length of air hose would ne cheaper than buying a compressor.

RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3543
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I’d try it with both the Viair and the onboard air. You can always add an inline regulator to reduce the psi if you need to. I have a pneumatic grease gun I got from Harbor Freight for $24. I only use it to grease my big riding mower, so the price was right. My hands are a lot happier with the pneumatic gun. I have a dedicated spiral air hose with an inline regulator to use for those tools that I need to control air pressure.

Pneumatic grease gun is definitely not frivolous, it is a great tool to have when lubing a motorhome chassis. I agree with Jim on not much volume needed, just not sure if the Vilar will get it done. Maybe a small air storage tank would be a cheap solution, hooked up inline from the Vilar to the grease gun would be a viable solution if needed.