RV Model
Sunstar
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Xyerra
Fulltimer
No
Hello
My wife and I live in southern Oregon north of Medford and have been enjoying RVing in Oregon, California and Idaho for the last 10 years. Recently our youngest daughter and family have bought a home in ‘Down East’ Maine near Acadia NP. A trip to Maine is on our radar for September and we’re wondering on suggested routes through some of the busier urban areas like Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo,etc. We’ll be towing a car and are just looking for ‘Be Warned’ areas on our route. Any advice is welcome.
Jim

Personally I'd stay away from Chicago. What a hell hole that place is. You DON'T want to get off at the wrong exit there looking for fuel or a place to eat! A few years ago my brother was driving his 18 wheeler to deliver in Chicago at a major brand box store. He got off the wrong exit by mistake so he stopped at a stop sign to look at a map. That's when he noticed the "locals" trying to get the lock off his trailer so they could steal his cargo!! He hadn't been there 30 seconds and the truck was running with him in it!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks for the heads up. I grew up in Michigan a long time ago and my family and I never had a desire to visit Chicago even in the 60’s.

You will find driving in the upper mid-west much different than driving in Oregon.

I would avoid the large cities and stick to a pleasent not so stressful route.

Across Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas, snow is not uncommon in Sep.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on driving the main interstate highways but staying at campgrounds away from the major cities - leap frogging them so to speak.

Hi from Eagle Point. Formerly of Merlin.

Have you considered US 2 for the majority of that journey?

Thank you for the suggestion. I am familiar with US 2 from about 1968 when my folks and I traveled from northern Michigan to Seattle for my father‘s work transfer. It’s been a very long time.

If you want slooowww, US 2 is the cross-country route for you; especially on the western end.

TJ

Latest resources

Back