RV Model
Reflection 28BH
RV Length
35’
TOW/TOAD
Ford F-250 Super Duty
Fulltimer
No
What are you folks using for a outdoor portable grill utilizing the 16.4 oz propane bottles?

I am looking to the Coleman 285 with a half cast iron griddle for cooking breakfast meats and eggs on.

Price point the Coleman seems to be a potential. However, does it hold up long term?.?.?

What are you folks using for a outdoor portable grill utilizing the 16.4 oz propane bottles?

I am looking to the Coleman 285 with a half cast iron griddle for cooking breakfast meats and eggs on.

Price point the Coleman seems to be a potential. However, does it hold up long term?.?.?
I just got a black stone 17" griddle. The ceramic nonstick surface will out last Teflon anytime. The other advantage is a solid control valve that is accurate.

For the record I purchased in store at Walmart.

A few years back I bought the Coleman LP cannister RoadTrip Classic Grill. I found the unit to be heavy and very hard to clean. It came with the half grill and half griddle. The grill half melted on me! I replaced it with a heavier cast grill which added significant weight. I still have the Coleman unit but am looking to go the direction that Kevin went, Blackstone. The 17" table top may be lighter. I think it has a single burner. If I am correct I am curious how it performs.

I just got a black stone 17" griddle. The ceramic nonstick surface will out last Teflon anytime. The other advantage is a solid control valve that is accurate.

For the record I purchased in store at Walmart.
They state rolled steel griddle top. Which one has the ceramic top?

My bad, I had a camp chef that had a cooking surface that looked like this and they claimed it to be ceramic.

It is better in my book because I overheated the camp chef and hurt the surface some.

No matter once seasoned it's a joy to cook on.

A few years back I bought the Coleman LP cannister RoadTrip Classic Grill. I found the unit to be heavy and very hard to clean. It came with the half grill and half griddle. The grill half melted on me! I replaced it with a heavier cast grill which added significant weight. I still have the Coleman unit but am looking to go the direction that Kevin went, Blackstone. The 17" table top may be lighter. I think it has a single burner. If I am correct I am curious how it performs.
Not really, it's not lite. The griddle is 1/8 thick steel and is the heavy part. Griddle flips over to cover the burner.

I like my eggs without crispys, and tried a couple on it and am more than happy. Give me time and I will do more.

Not really, it's not lite. The griddle is 1/8 thick steel and is the heavy part. Griddle flips over to cover the burner.

I like my eggs without crispys, and tried a couple on it and am more than happy. Give me time and I will do more.
The Blackstone is the one people chose right now. With good reason. They are great and for the money just can't be beat. We have the 28inch at home. I would have bought one for the camper ,but it came with one. Its not a Blackstone , but is a close copy of the 17 inch. Other than name I can't tell the difference between them.
Has the cold rolled steel and once seasoned nothing cooks better . The Blackstone seasoning and iron conditioner works great to get it treated and keep it that way. Nothing sticks after that.

On the subject of flat tops, I bought the 36” 4 burner blue rhino model. The two halves fold to cover the top then when opened are side tables. I have used the blackstone 36”, my friend has one. I personally like the blue rhino one much better. Of course your mileage may vary because of the size difference in the models we’re talking about. While you don’t NEED a cover for the blue rihno I made a custom one out of sunbrella as they did not sell one for that exact model. However, the black stone, you need to buy a separate steel griddle cover and they also sell an optional fabric cover. Of course not near as high quality as the sunbrella one I made. on the subject of flat top vs grill I find the flat top more versatile And anything can be cooked on it. That being said, this model folds and technically still portable but not as small as some of the smaller ones they make.

Attachments

• E36D2544-3A7E-4E01-BD68-77DDBB47F601.jpeg
    E36D2544-3A7E-4E01-BD68-77DDBB47F601.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
  • F23EAC97-94F9-4B34-8C68-AAAEE235438A.jpeg
    F23EAC97-94F9-4B34-8C68-AAAEE235438A.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 27
  • 849E0CCB-E9FD-49E6-BA64-4845707FDF7B.jpeg
    849E0CCB-E9FD-49E6-BA64-4845707FDF7B.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
  • CD48459B-F20F-4B11-B174-51B1914CA1A4.jpeg
    CD48459B-F20F-4B11-B174-51B1914CA1A4.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
On the subject of flat tops, I bought the 36” 4 burner blue rhino model. The two halves fold to cover the top then when opened are side tables. I have used the blackstone 36”, my friend has one. I personally like the blue rhino one much better. Of course your mileage may vary because of the size difference in the models we’re talking about. While you don’t NEED a cover for the blue rihno I made a custom one out of sunbrella as they did not sell one for that exact model. However, the black stone, you need to buy a separate steel griddle cover and they also sell an optional fabric cover. Of course not near as high quality as the su

nbrella one I made. on the subject of flat top vs grill I find the flat top more versatile And anything can be cooked on it. That being said, this model folds and technically still portable but not as small as some of the smaller ones they make.
There you are, I got rid of the three burner with griddle camp chef because of size and weight. 17 inches is still bigger than I would prefer.

Great replies from all on this subject matter. A Blackstone it will be.

Latest resources

Back