Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Outlaw garage ceiling height in non loft bed models?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

GreenWindex

RVF Newbee
Hi everyone! I'm considering an Outlaw 38MB but there's an important dimension I haven't been able to find. Can anyone confirm the ceiling height in the garage? It looks like there are two heights, one is under the bed when it's fully raised and the other is right next to the entry to the rest of the coach.

If anyone can measure theirs I'd really appreciate it. I'm also trying to contact Thor, so if they get back to me I'll post the info on this thread.

I have a 2019 model 38MB and the actual floor to ceiling height at the very rear near the ramp door is 111 inches . It's the same near the sliding door entry to the bedroom. If measuring from the floor to the bottom of the sofa sections under the drop down bed it's 80 inches. If measuring from the floor to the underside of the storage cabinets hanging over the sliding door it's 88 inches. I hope that helps!

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for! Have you had a good experience with your Outlaw? It seems like the perfect floor plan for me but I hear so many horror stories online about Thor build quality. This is one of their higher end models so I'd think it would be well put together.

We'd be using it for about 3 or 4 months total per year putting about 8k miles per year on it.

Your post has answered a bunch of questions for me! But of all the questions about toy haulers for me is the question of quality. I have said to myself many times " how does that owner expect that thing to hold up the way he drives it down dirt roads?" Well I guess the forums are full of people that think they should hold up.
Of course that stuff I said is an illustration about the reality of RV durability. If you drive like you want something to last, it probably will. If you drive like you don't care and someone else is to blame for your problems, then you will complain to the world about quality.

I've seen reviews where they said the ramp broke while rolling a motorcycle up it, which is something it should handle. I've seen reviews that say the unit left the lot without the lifting jacks functioning, inverters falling off because they were screwed into stripped holes in the wood, roof leaking on brand new units, water lines leaking on brand new units. Things like that.

I wouldn't expect it to hold up if you don't take care of it, but I would hope it comes well put together from the factory.

No problem GW I am glad I could help you on that item. As far as my Outlaw ownership I am happy and in my second one, the first being a 2017 BG and the more recent 2019 MB. I had a nice unit with the BG but after several outings and after making great use out of the "big garage" with two motorcycles and gear my wife and I felt that if Thor would come out with a similar one but with a dedicated bedroom we would jump at the chance. Lo and behold the MB comes along and as far as I know we have one of the first that became available on the East Coast. Ours was featured at the Tampa RV show in 2019.

As a far as build quality we have had no major issues with either of the two Outlaws. Like many RV owners even if you think you had a good PDI before taking her home you are bound to find some stuff later after you take to the road. Stay open minded and be prepared for possible dealer visits early on. On the 2019 MB there was a glitch in the interior control panel program and some owners commented about lights coming on by themselves and slide issues. I store mine at home and one morning I came out and found that all of my slides were out and every single light on as well. Really spooked me! I called Thor and they said they were on it since it was a safety recall. They sent a factory Rep. to my home within a week and after a 20 minute software upgrade I was in business. It's my understanding that this issue did not repeat itself in 2020 models or beyond. Poorly fitted plumbing under the kitchen sink was a problem in both of my Outlaws so I do recommend taking a flashlight during your PDI and check it out good during the slide and sink operation. We had a couple of leaks but not catastrophic.

In an effort to better improve handling and drive ability I spent some dollars in that department. Some folks are not going there but many of us have in order to create a more pleasant driving experience. If you don't do anything else I would absolutely recommend before taking it off the lot to invest in a front end alignment and Safety Steer steering damper. Ford sends the chassis to Thor aligned but after the build things change so it needs correction. Also you will notice a lot of sway as the wind hits from passing semi's and that is where the damper comes into play. Everyone seems to comment positively about that simple upgrade. Who knows maybe your dealer will throw in the alignment for free on your deal like they did for me. It doesn't end there though since there are a few other mods that can be done. I invested in Sumo Springs which helped with body roll and road bumps and I bought the 5 Star Tune. I won't get into detail on those as I am sure you are capable of researching on the internet yourself.

Like you we are not full timers so we tend to take it out here and there and we don't anticipate racking up big miles quickly. We are always amazed at how many folks stop us at refuels and at camp to check us out. Some have never seen one and some have considered getting into one. Once we get set up including having the ramp up for a patio we have loads of room to stretch out with just two adults and a small canine, and it has pretty much every feature we will ever need. Good luck in your search and we hope you join the rest of us Outlaws on the road.

It sounds like Thor is being very helpful. That's great to hear. I've read about the various handling improvements, and it sounds like that's common for the chassis. Thanks a lot for the info and if I end up getting an Outlaw I will post up here.

One last question: does it look straight forward to remove the couch/bed setup from the garage? We won't need those and it would be good to gain that height back.

The couches are easily removed I did that once. Not sure about the disassembly of the bed itself as I haven’t investigated it.

Latest resources

Back