Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

gfmucci

RVF Regular
I see so many MHs that are only 4 or 5 years old (2017 - 2018) with chairs and sofas that are already peeling away- they look like they're 20 years old.

I notice this on some of the Thor Hurricanes and many similar level MH seating.

This causes me concern that if I get a 2019 or 2020 of a similar make/model that looks perfect now, that in a year or two it'll begin to look like crap. I guess this is typical of lower end models? What causes this? Baking in hot sun? Defective material? Super low end material?

I have a relatively cheap ($300 Big Lots) recliner I sit on at home in my den with my dogs for hours each day for 2 years and it looks perfect still.

RV owners have choices. Live with it, slipcover it, reupholster it, or get new chairs. What do you do? And cost of redoing? What can be done, if anything, to prolong its appearance? Is there anything owners can do to delay this sort of peeling?

Newmars have or had the issue too. It is due to motorhome manufacturers specifying the use of crap materials to cover furniture to save a buck.

Just search this site for Flexsteel.

Lowest quality vinyl to meet the price point demanded by the manufacturer. Higher quality = higher cost.

Latest resources

Back