Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
As some here know I have the Parsec Husky roof antenna (7-in-1: cellular, wi-fi, and gps) connected to my Pepwave BR1 Pro 5G router. The Wi-Fi on the roof is not sufficient for use below, in my coach at least. The antenna sits on top of my air conditioner.

As I've recently discovered the land of Access Points in my S&B (house) and just installed a sweet Ubiquity UniFi setup in the house using access points I decided to look into an Access Point for the coach. I see Pepwave just released a new AP ONE X Wi-Fi 6 access point so I ordered it and installed it today.

Yes, it's pricey, but so is my entire RV internet setup as this is my lifestyle, my RV is my office with different views out the window. Installation was simple, I used a PoE injector but you can also use a 12V adapter to power it if needed. I had the PoE injector so that was a no brainer. AP powered on and I enabled "external ap" in the AP area of my Pepwave router and waited for it to sync up which can take up to 15 minutes so be patient! It appeared, synced the settings, and voila, awesome Wi-Fi. I failed to mention I connected the Parsec Husky Wi-Fi back to the router to have the external broadcasting and the access point lives under my dinette, perfectly mid-coach so it's ideal and also faces the patio side from the opposing wall so it's great for patio connectivity.

Great options with your Pepwave as it has the built in access point controller (not all do). Outstanding system that I highly recommend for RVers looking for reliable Internet with a set it and forget it system.

IMG_3718.jpg

As I'm using a TP link 8 port fanless switch in the AV box, I decided to get the same switch but the PoE version at the dinette. I was using a port injector to supply PoE power to this AP. Today I got the new switch and it's working great. I may also separate internal vs. external networks so I can not use Wi-Fi for internal comms and suffer less than GiGe speeds so this gives me managed switch capability too for VLAN's. Very nice switches!

PoE version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BW0AD1W/?tag=rvf01-20

Non PoE version up front at Pepwave: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K4DS5KU/?tag=rvf01-20

Interesting timing. I'm about 90% sure I'm going to ditch my father's Sonicwall, and replace with a Peplink Balance router, and a couple BR somethings for his LTE or 5G backups. I was talking to a reseller and he mentioned the Peplink APs as an alternative to Unifi (my father has a very old unifi setup in a house he bought, and I was about to upgrade with new unifi). I've been a fan of Unifi and have it at my house, but with the controller being built into the Peplink router, and me becoming a Peplink fan boy, I'm seriously considering switching him to Pep APs instead of new Unifis (might to the same myself in S&B if I ditch my Sonicwall for a Balance router).

Latest resources

Back