Pepwave Cellular Internet Equipment Installation

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

"EZ"

Internet Forum Junkie since there was dial up!
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Holiday Rambler
RV Model
Ambassador
RV Length
40'
TOW/TOAD
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
After I figure out what all I need to order to get my wife reliable internet in the RV, is there some place that I can get this stuff installed? I really don't want to try to figure it out myself. It'll take forever and would be much better for me to pay someone that was experienced to install everything. Would a local stereo shop know how to do this stuff? Or would an RV dealer be better? Where would you go?

That’s a tough one and ideally a shop that has done it a lot To start. You might try a small RV repair/upgrade shop that can demonstrate they have the know how and if they do satellite installations for dish or direct tv (or maybe even a WiFi Ranger dealer) would be a better choice as they probably know RV’s better since you are looking at a roof mount antenna most likely for optimal performance.

I don’t think you need to go to a shop quite yet. I don’t have a pepwave but I don’t suspect its much different from my MoFi.
  • Order the unit.
  • When you get it, set it up on your countertop, plug it in and follow the instructions that come with it to get it up and running. You’ll probably get a couple of Cellular Antennas and Paddle Antennas.
  • Get it running and do some speed tests. You’ll probably want to become familiar with some of the settings like Band Scanning and Band Locking because they will be things you need to use and adjust every time you move.
  • When happy, 3M it to your windshield, just below the tint line and behind the OHC. Let it sit there for a few weeks while you use it to help you determine if you even need external antennas. I haven’t yet. Doesn’t mean I won’t in the future. I expect to need them when I go west but here on the east I do not.

EZ,
I would encourage you to follow the suggestion offered up by MapNerd.
Setup of the equipment is fairly simple. Installation (permanent or otherwise), to include an external antenna, can involve a variety of factors. I've been using my equipment since May & still have not decided where a permanent installation will be. A lot of my indecision surrounds the placement of an external antenna on the roof & the location of the actual device in close proximity to 12 VDC & 120 VAC (for supporting equipment)., Then again, I also have to contend with a roof approximately 6" - 7" thick & placing the antenna so as to avoid signal interference from other 'stuff' on the roof. In the meantime, the paddle antennas have worked very well.

EZ, if you want to investigate a reseller, go to the peplink site. Certified Distributors, Partners & Resellers- Peplink
Momentum Telecom in Kennesaw is kinda close. Maybe give them a call. I would reccomend you get a quality antenna and roof mount it if you do a professional installation.

I like the suggestion of @VTPete since not that far away. Matter of fact I will be close to there11/24 and may stop by to get a feel on how knowledgeable they are. Or I will wait and get @Neal expertise in Casa Grande?

Happy to help in Palmcatraz @NWIP as needed. I think you should pick up some Drainmaster components so we can use my new ginsu set on your new coach!

EZ, if you want to investigate a reseller, go to the peplink site. Certified Distributors, Partners & Resellers- Peplink
Momentum Telecom in Kennesaw is kinda close. Maybe give them a call. I would reccomend you get a quality antenna and roof mount it if you do a professional installation.
Kennesaw is very close. About an hour away. I went through there today on the way to Atlanta!! I appreciate your willingness to help me with this. I don't want to over spend but I don't want to go cheap and end up having to buy this equipment 2 or 3 times to get what I really need either. I'm sure I'll be back asking questions............ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don’t think you need to go to a shop quite yet. I don’t have a pepwave but I don’t suspect its much different from my MoFi.
  • Order the unit.
  • When you get it, set it up on your countertop, plug it in and follow the instructions that come with it to get it up and running. You’ll probably get a couple of Cellular Antennas and Paddle Antennas.
  • Get it running and do some speed tests. You’ll probably want to become familiar with some of the settings like Band Scanning and Band Locking because they will be things you need to use and adjust every time you move.
  • When happy, 3M it to your windshield, just below the tint line and behind the OHC. Let it sit there for a few weeks while you use it to help you determine if you even need external antennas. I haven’t yet. Doesn’t mean I won’t in the future. I expect to need them when I go west but here on the east I do not.
Mapnerd, what equipment are you running with the indoor antennas? I like the Peplink stuff but there's so many I'm not sure which would be the right one??? What do you have?

EZ,
I would encourage you to follow the suggestion offered up by MapNerd.
Setup of the equipment is fairly simple. Installation (permanent or otherwise), to include an external antenna, can involve a variety of factors. I've been using my equipment since May & still have not decided where a permanent installation will be. A lot of my indecision surrounds the placement of an external antenna on the roof & the location of the actual device in close proximity to 12 VDC & 120 VAC (for supporting equipment)., Then again, I also have to contend with a roof approximately 6" - 7" thick & placing the antenna so as to avoid signal interference from other 'stuff' on the roof. In the meantime, the paddle antennas have worked very well.
Lemon Drop, what equipment package are you using? Are you happy with it?

Latest resources

Back