Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Familycrosscanada

RVF Newbee
My family and I are planning a trip across canada this summer. We've never RV'ed before but do tent camping every year. We are 4, my wife and I a preteen and teenager. Looking for some pointers on how to select an RV for the trip. New Used? I am mechanically inclined and can fix just about anything although I think Id rather be sipping a cool drink this summer rather than under the RV fixing something. We are looking at C class 24 to 28 but also eyeing a smaller format like Class B and being more minimalist given the amount of miles and savings on gas. Our plan is to travel in short 4 hour days and spend a day or 2 at specific 'must see' areas we are also visiting friends along the way in cities
along the way. We planned on renting a RV but the cost of renting for 4 months is high, our thinking is buy and then sell within a year understanding that the resale value for a used RV is very robust.
Please comment as your thought swill be very helpful im sure.

Regards,
Jordan

Sounds like a fun trip., If reselling is the current plan, I would suggest used. The initial value hit is already off. Maybe something 2 - 4 years old so would still limit the anticipated repairs. We have not traveled across Canada but have traveled with kids. Space is hard to beat. Even an occasional rainy day can make something small even smaller. Having a dedicated bed or two also helps. Taking sleeping areas up and down every couple days for 4 people can be a bunch of work. Storage, storage, storage. Clothes, outdoor games and chairs, campfire things, and necessities take up a bunch of room.
Once you purchase, one thing is for sure, it will not get any bigger than it is on day one. It MIGHT get smaller, if you know what I mean.
Holler if we can help with anything.
Financing and service contract are what we do.
Ken

Latest resources

Back