Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

saguinther

RVF Regular
Hi, I'm Scott and looking to go from home ownership to rving fulltime in about 5-years. I still need to convince my wife this will be great. She likes going places but doesn't like change too much. Looking for our first rig. Debating between a Class C and a TT -27ft Don't want something too large but do want to be comfortable. Learning what I need and what I don't, what kind of tow vehicle to get, what I rill need to change to transition to full-time traveling. Looking to continue working remotely as a computer technician maintaining my clients computers from wherever we are. I still have 10 years until "retirement". May not retire but just keep working part-time!

If I were going to be a FT I would look to a 5’er if pulling. A nice Class C with a reputable power plant would be good. But back to the question of convincing someone who dislikes change......that’s your biggest hurdle.

Thanks for the information. The 5’ers just seem too large for me starting out. Agreed that convincing my wife to do this fill time is a big hurdle but I believe one we go see our son in Arizona once (we are in Pennsylvania) she will see the benefits. His plans are to go to Washington State in a year or two. She dislikes flying!

X2 on starting with a fiver Scott. If your biggest concern is that your DW won't buy in to your future full time traveling plans then you certainly want to start out making her as comfortable as possible right from the start in her first RV.

Consider a couple things when comparing for example having a 27' TT and a 36' fiver. Your total combination length with the 27' TT will be about 50' when hooked up. Your total combination length with the 36' fiver when hooked up will be about 50'-52', however you will have almost 10' more living space. I can promise you it will be easier and use less roadway to back up a 36' fiver than it will a 27' travel trailer.

The next few times you are out on the interstate on windy days start paying attention to any longer TTs you see going down the road. Then try to watch and compare those to any fivers that are out there in the same windy conditions. I think you will start to notice that generally speaking fivers will handle better on those windy days if properly loaded.

Thanks for that info. That certainly gives me some important information to consider. I have backed a trailer (4 foot) with a jeep a long time ago and could do it easily but know that it takes practice to do it well. Backing a long trailer just seemed daunting to me. Your point on the roadway required makes sense to me. I will take a look at some 5’ers.

Germanrazor and FL-Jo, Thank you for your insight. I have been looking at 5'ers and I see how this type of rig would make the transition easier for both my wife and I. What 5'ers do you have and what do you like about your rig and what would you change?

You have five years. Go rent and travel in a class C. Its harder to rent a trailer without a tow vehicle but there are places that you can rent smaller then park models already set in campgrounds so you can get a feel of trailer living. As far as towing most dealers should welcome to have you take their rigs out on test drives and teach you to tow. If not find one that will.

I suggest using these years leading up to a real coach be used in a used low mileage coach that has already depreciated,to get her in the mood. Foreplay if you will. If she complains about something, fix the problem, and move on to the next. If you play your cards right she will start suggesting to you that full time might be a better way to live.

Remember that a "Happy Wife..."

When you mention “talking the dw into it” I think of the inconveniences of dishes, showers, toilets, laundry and even running your favorite appliances (even on a 50amp system). If you really want to talk her into it I’d be prepared to do all the dirty work. I downsized optimistically from a house to a 40‘ 5th wheel but it’s definitely been a learning curve. There’s a lot of home comforts I miss and if this hadn’t been my idea I could see not being a happy camper. I was in the position of having to downsize though so I made the most of it by getting my apartment on wheels. My 320sqft home is growing on me but I’m seriously searching the country for a couple of pieces of property (one or two up north and couple more down south) so I can enjoy my apartment and my backyard.

Find something with a big grey tank for the kitchen sink and the shower. An in-line water heater instead of a tank makes both of those jobs more like home. I love my recliners (first I’ve ever owned) but it came at the cost of a dinner table which I miss. As a mom I feel weird sitting in the living room eating a meal but I try to think of it as a vacation and just go with it. When we finally hit some good weather and a longer site we’ll open up the garage and use the table setup back there.

On the other hand that’s my ideal situation so whatever is your norm in the house you have should be duplicated as close as possible to full-time living. Just makes it’ less of a transition.

Good luck because it is fun when in the right mindset, my teen and I have been enjoying our extended vacation quite a bit.

When you mention “talking the dw into it” I think of the inconveniences of dishes, showers, toilets, laundry and even running your favorite appliances (even on a 50amp system). If you really want to talk her into it I’d be prepared to do all the dirty work. I downsized optimistically from a house to a 40‘ 5th wheel but it’s definitely been a learning curve. There’s a lot of home comforts I miss and if this hadn’t been my idea I could see not being a happy camper. I was in the position of having to downsize though so I made the most of it by getting my apartment on wheels. My 320sqft home is growing on me but I’m seriously searching the country for a couple of pieces of property (one or two up north and couple more down south) so I can enjoy my apartment and my backyard.

Find something with a big grey tank for the kitchen sink and the shower. An in-line water heater instead of a tank makes both of those jobs more like home. I love my recliners (first I’ve ever owned) but it came at the cost of a dinner table which I miss. As a mom I feel weird sitting in the living room eating a meal but I try to think of it as a vacation and just go with it. When we finally hit some good weather and a longer site we’ll open up the garage and use the table setup back there.

On the other hand that’s my ideal situation so whatever is your norm in the house you have should be duplicated as close as possible to full-time living. Just makes it’ less of a transition.

Good luck because it is fun when in the right mindset, my teen and I have been enjoying our extended vacation quite a bit.
Yup! @GeoKat said it all. I can tell you that Saundra has a bigger smile, when we are shoulder to shoulder in the daily tasks. Best part of @GeoKat s post however is the last line and worth saving for the bad days of the transition.

Latest resources

Back