• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

SCollins

RVF Regular
Fulltimer
No
Hey folks! Planning to get an RV... Pl lemme know what are things to consider before getting it? Based on your experience, what are the common issues which any RVers would face while traveling with their pets?

Well that's a pretty open ended question;
What class of RV are you interested in? Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel, Class A, B or C?
How often are you going to use it? Year-round or just weekends?
Where are you taking it? Across the country or just around Palo Alto?
And there's probably 25 other questions you'll need to answer BEFORE you even start thinking about your pet.

There will be someone on this site who can answer pretty much any question you have about RV's but you'll need to be more specific. Welcome to the site!

Hi Matt, Sure!!
What class of RV are you interested in? Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel, Class A, B, or C?
I'm planning to get a Travel Trailer. Since I have Infiniti QX80... So I'm looking for any towable type RV.

How often are you going to use it? Year-round or just weekends?
Every six month planning to go for a trip

Where are you taking it? Across the country or just around Palo Alto?
Actually across country..

And yes, I'm planning to take my Toby with me. He is a 4 yrs border collie... Pl share those questions to check whether I'm ready enough to go RVing with him.

Finally, appreciate your support....

I read an article since it's moving home. We might face issues with RV Roofing, Interior, Electricals, and other issues. Is it gonna be even for trailers too? And considering trailers, there is a lot of theft has been happening across the US. How can we address those issues?

here is my response to a similar post from a few days ago. It might not all be relevant but I think most of it applies

I read an article since it's moving home. We might face issues with RV Roofing, Interior, Electricals, and other issues. Is it gonna be even for trailers too? And considering trailers, there is a lot of theft has been happening across the US. How can we address those issues?
It doesn’t matter what kind of RV you get, they are all literal homes on wheels, being subjected to a magnitude 7 earthquake every time you move them, for the duration of that move. If you take that into consideration, most of them actually hold up fairly well given the circumstances of their existence.

Problems with electrical, plumbing, roofing and the like most often originate from factory defects, not normal usage. They absolutely do happen with some frequency, but it’s just not often because someone moved the RV. It’s because of a defect in workmanship or materials - usually the former.

Warranties are only as good as the manufacturer. Many will ignore you once the sale is done. Newmar tends to be far better than most in terms of build quality, honoring their warranty and standing behind their product well after the warranty has ended. Not perfect, but far better than the others in my opinion.

Theft happens no matter where you are. I actually tend to feel safer and more secure in the parks I frequent than I ever did in my suburban neighborhood full of $400,000+ single family homes. If you take proper precautions and just lock your doors and visit reputable parks and stay out of the shanty towns, it’s a non issue.

Two things come to mind quickly: 1) Know exactly what the limitations are on your tow vehicle as far as weight is concerned. All too often, the “sales” guy will tell you every is fine and get you into a u it that is too much for your tow vehicle. 2) Don’t go cheap. By that, I mean look at purchasing a TT that is well made, has a good roof construction, and a warranty (assume you buy new) that both dealer and company stand behind. If you buy used, get a good inspection done if you are brand new to RV’s so you don5 buy a problem. Not knowing your budget, it would be difficult for members to give you recommendations for good units.

With regards to pets............. since 2010 we have traveled with Standard Schnauzers (if you are not familiar with the breed, they are a tad different than some dog personality wise). No real issues.
To be honest with you, most people we've encountered in the RV community do have pets. Some with multiple large pets, some with 1 small pet & everything in between.
Our SS is part of the family. If we leave the the RV, most of the time we take her with us. She can stay unattended in the RV for a few hours without issue.

As couple of folks have mentioned-KNOW your total towing capacity. DO NOT listen to dealers, car or RV sales, as they actually aren't that versed or knowledgeable. It's VERY important. One thing i learned, the hard way, just because a truck can pull it doesn't mean it can STOP it. Safety has to be paramount. I got/received a lot of great help, information, expertise from people on this forum for which i am very thankful. Figure out what your vehicle can tow, and stop, safely, there's no gray area here. the specs for your Infiniti QX80 'indicate' you can tow 8500#--that's an awful lot of weight for a 'lite' half ton SUV. that's 8500# before you even load up the RV-which can run another 500-1000#. I tried pulling my 1st RV(total weight 8400#) with my F150 Crewcab and realized the 'tail was wagging the dog". the F150 towing Spec indicated 'towing capacity of 12,500#', the dealer even said i was good up to 13,000#. I can assure it the F150 would pull it-i doubt it can stop it safely, and learned on one small trip it was just not safe. We've moved up to the F250/6.7. All that to say KNOW what you can pull safely, not what someone or the specs say. it's just not the same thing. You'll find a lot of very knowledgeable
folks on here who can give you great guidance.

Welcome, good job asking before jumping in. Have you ever used an RV (any type) before? If not, consider renting a few times, if even just for a weekend close by home. Make sure the reality matches the dream.

We started in a 38' Class A (gas powered), and after two years transitioned into a 45' Diesel Pusher. More space for our two dogs and a second bathroom, in addition to driving characteristics where our motivators.

Traveling with pets is a very common thing for RV'er' s. Many travel with multiple pets (like us). Most campgrounds have areas dedicated to the pets for exercise and waste control. there are dedicated campground review sites that can help you get understanding around a specific CG amenities. How your pet will travel is specific to your animal. We have a 70 lbs. snoodle that is a great traveler, curls up on the couch and can sleep the whole travel day. His 30 lbs. doodle sister, not so much. She hates travel days and cannot relax. Luckily, her brother lets her snuggle for support.

The more you research the more questions you will have. Really, till you get out and experience the lifestyle you won't get a full appreciation for the good or the bad. Renting is a cheaper cost to experience than purchasing, but you do you.

See ya around the campfire.

Latest resources

Back