Chassis
Spartan K2
Engine
Cummins 500hp
TOW/TOAD
Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Hi, I pulled my water system apart about a year ago with the intent to clean it all up, modernize, automate, etc.
With the Hoots pending trip, now I need to get the water system together finally.
Looking for some feedback on the system design as I keep getting distracted with pesky work stuff that keeps real progress from happening.

some of the Wants (feel free to add more good ideas)
1) automatic water fill - requires an electric water valve and accurate level sensing (likely will use SeeLevel sensors). Ability to fill via the softener in small doses to keep the softener up to speed. Or, bypass the softener if filling from a known good source (like my house). Gravity Feed port with valve (can be used for shocking).
2) new water line to front generator area to connect to an electric power washer for windshield cleaning. Ability to choose / mix hot and cold water.
3) pressure sensors both pre and post regulator
4) water softener for applicable lines (faucets / shower / laundry) PLUS a way to automagically backflush and replenish salt (haven't figured this one out yet)
5) electric dump valves (already in place)
6) Black / Grey flush with backflow valve that doesn't have softener or regulator in line to drop the water pressure. Using electric valve to automate this. Possible pressure washer connection to really clean the tanks regularly without mess with new nozzles and lines.
7) Certainly more accurate level sensing. SeaLevel ( or DIY) capacitance and / or pressure sensors monitored via myServer control system.
8) Water usage meter / reporting (either using level sensing and / or flow sensor)
9) Auto winterizing - electric valves to dump, electric 3 way valve to push antifreeze into system, electric valve to control quick disconnect, regulated air supply from an external compressor. Idea is Push the Winterizing button and it does it's thing.
10) electrically choose between using on board fresh tank and outboard water supply post filter and softener.
11) Ability to shutoff Offboard water to cycle inboard water (keep it fresh)...thanx Neal!
12) Shutoff water supply in case of leak sense tripped.

I have attached a pic of the water system that does not accomplish many of the above...but it needs to be enhanced so it does and then I can start mounting and plumbing things together, connect the myServer 6 relays and control system and work on the software logic (the "easy stuff").

Please provide some feedback!!!

Attachments

• Plumbing_V2.jpg
    Plumbing_V2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I'm thinking of adding an electric valve so I can turn off city water from inside the coach. I want to better cycle my fresh tank and of course never go outside :)

I'm thinking of adding an electric valve so I can turn off city water from inside the coach. I want to better cycle my fresh tank and of course never go outside :)
Good idea! added to the Want List and Pic
Oh, and the side benefit is that with Leak Sensor(s), that can be the main shutoff valve to minimize water damage (feature added to list)

Last edited:
I feel like a dolt with my rinky dink setup.

#2 is accomplished with a three way valve ("y-valve"?) at the city water connection and an extra 50 ft hose in the front compartment.

What Neal wants is accomplished with a quarter turn ball valve at the connection from the hose to my trailer (except the not going outside part - nuts to that).

I feel like a dolt with my rinky dink setup.

#2 is accomplished with a three way valve ("y-valve"?) at the city water connection and an extra 50 ft hose in the front compartment.

What Neal wants is accomplished with a quarter turn ball valve at the connection from the hose to my trailer (except the not going outside part - nuts to that).
sure...all of what you say is true. We are getting to the "next level". Next Level will be further defined in subsequent posts. RV Modes of Operation. AUTOMATION of the subsystem interactions well beyond what the RV OEMs do today.

The idea is it should know what mode it is in, and to optimize the subsystems for the owner. So many posts are by people that have zero understanding of their subsystems and how to interact with them. Many "If / Then / Else" situations that the current owner's need to understand and deal with like: I am parked at a campground and it's about 60F temp, which heating system should I use? Choices: hmmm, not driving, so not engine heat...are you connected to campground electric? why yes you are...so choices are AquaHot electric or diesel or Dometic heat pump? Hmm, let's try Dometic Heat Pump on Heat mode. Or should that be Aquahot electric?
If you weren't connected to landline, then sure, use Diesel heat. But since it's above 45F, then use the Heat Pump as we all know (do we?), HeatPumps don't work below that.... Very confusing for most anyone.

So, with better technology - why should they care / need to know? Anyway, that's the hypothesis.

Last edited:
Any feedback / new ideas other than Neal's?

Any feedback / new ideas other than Neal's?
Does that mean I can't offer more ideas :censored:

I see you have "manual" handles on fresh fill and black tank rinse. I'd also want those automated. I'd love to be able to enable black tank rinse from within the coach. For example I dump black, I rinse black, dump black, dump gray. The rinse black would be fill to 80% and then dump, maybe repeat one more cycle, then dump then dump gray.

Does that mean I can't offer more ideas :censored:

I see you have "manual" handles on fresh fill and black tank rinse. I'd also want those automated. I'd love to be able to enable black tank rinse from within the coach. For example I dump black, I rinse black, dump black, dump gray. The rinse black would be fill to 80% and then dump, maybe repeat one more cycle, then dump then dump gray.
The Fresh Fill is supported by a 3 way valve connected to the hose reel. When unpowered (relay off), the fresh water input goes to the softner to rest of water system. When relay is energized, the 3 way goes full tilt to flush the black tank. The manual valve is there to the secondary Black flush valve if you want to connect a hose directly to the flush. Just connect and swing the manual valve. But most of the time, from anywhere from your "phone", "tablet", dash "head unit", etc you just click the Flush button to move the 3 way valve to invoke flushing.

Need to double check if I updated the pic with the above. EDIT: I guess I can't edit the first post anymore, so here is my latest pic.

But yes, I agree on your feature want. This will all be automated as well so no need to click a "flush" button as it will be choreographed with the Dump that will also be automated based on connection status (connected to waste disposal) and Tank if getting Full indicators.

I am considering putting motor valves on the three drain lines to be part of the auto winterizing / flush / sanitizing capabilities. Just more $ in valves (about $40 per valve plus a relay). So, is that worth it?

Yes, please continue bringing on the good ideas. I guess I should have worded that different :)

Attachments

• Plumbing_V4.jpg
    Plumbing_V4.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 8
Dang it, now your going to make me go back and redo mine.. AGAIN! LOL
1660583825712.jpeg

Dang it, now your going to make me go back and redo mine.. AGAIN! LOL
View attachment 13964
Looks nice! Did you make the stainless pan? Mine is fiberglass that I cleaned up but doesn't look as nice as yours. If you want to automate your stuff, we are here to help.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back