Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

d2freak82

RVF Regular
I ran into a really weird issue while at the lake yesterday - when we turned on the AC it would run 10-15min then pop the breaker, happened over and over again. I checked the power it seemed okay as far as voltage and such. Maintenance at the lake stuck a tester into the plug to test the ground/neutral so on - seemed okay.

Yet when we pulled it home (wasn't going to be at the lake in 100 degree heat without AC) - the AC works great, no issues popping breakers.
They offered to let us move spots but by that time I thought the issue was mine so that's why we chose to pull it home.

I mean I know that these issues can happen with improper wiring of the box but I'm left puzzled trying to figure out what would've caused this, any thoughts?

Most likely a bad breaker on the pedestal. Campgrounds will deny this, point to your coach, after a fight they change their breaker (or receptacle) and the problem goes away.

I thought you were talking about the breaker on the pedestal.

I checked the power it seemed okay as far as voltage and such.
Did you check voltage under load (when the AC was operating)? Were there any other electrical items running “at the lake” that were not running at home? Did you have an electric water heater running at the same time, perhaps?

Since your AC works at home (and assuming that all the same electrical appliances were operating there as well), this sounds very much like a low-voltage situation at the RV park. As voltage drops under load, amperage draw increases. The breaker at the pedestal is probably higher capacity than the one in your RV, so the RV breaker will open first.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi nailed it. Lower voltage increases working load to compensate.

Autoformer will help in these situations

I didn't think to check voltage while the device was running - go me. I shut everything else off (at the breaker) to ensure I wasn't pulling too much load, literally the only breaker that was on when it kept popping was the AC and the main (30 amp main, 20 amp AC).
We have a surge protector and I saw the lights on it or at least 2 go blank, and then flicker - which I thought was very odd. Of course they blamed my surge protector, so I tried without and same story.
While we were there I told my wife I wished I had a way to test load (amps), as I only had a multimeter with me. Again - I didn't test voltage under a load but good thinking. I looked up those autoformers, those aren't cheap at =) probably a wise plan though

so I tested the power at the pole again - it's running like 117v going to call the park hopefully they will do something about it, but we'll see

117V is a good reading. What you need to know is what is it under load. Turn on your AC and test while under load.

You can safely do this test inside by testing voltage at one of your power outlets. You can also do the test inside your breaker panel by testing each line separately.

You need to test the line that the AC is on.

Latest resources

Back