• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ichosethisone

RVF Newbee
TIA for any responses on this.

I purchased a portable dump tank for our travel trailer, and on the first use it turned out to have a leak. :(
It was a cheaper one, two part molded plastic type. The seam failed in one area and leaks just a little.

I don't know, since I used it for the black water first, if I could even return it. Moreover, I wouldn't feel okay about trying to ship something like that during a pandemic.
So, instead of being out $200, I'm hoping I can just repair it. I was thinking just fiberglassing over the entire seam.

What do you guys think? Would that make a good repair for this thing, or is there a better way?

Nothing sticks to HDPE

I wouldn't think fiberglass would hold up due to how hard it gets and the flex of the tank. You may even find the type of repair glue at a hardware store if you know what type of material the tank is made from. Personally I would try using a decent soldering gun and try melting the seam back together.
afterthought....... Maybe try contacting the place you got it from and get their advice.

Either return it and get a replacement or buy another one. “Cheap” is rarely “good.” And, trying to fix a “cheap” product usually doesn’t work; it will break again; in the same place or somewhere else.

As for not being comfortable returning it after use, companies that sell sewer tanks are used to dealing with returns. Call them and explain the problem; my guess is that they will send you another one and tell you to toss the defective one.

TJ

been told that high heat hot glue works on hdpe

But a low cost plastic welder and some HDPE welding rod and weld it. I welded mt black water tank on my boat 3 years ago and is still holding. I was in the plastic industry for over 30 years. There is some good utube channels that show you how.

Latest resources

Back