RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Cross Country Diesel Pusher
RV Length
Fulltimer
Yes
Good morning! New Class A owner's here and taking our very first trip from Portland OR to Phoenix AZ. Really nervous about driving through mountains on the maiden trip so does anyone have a nice safe route that's nice and easy? Nervous wife here would appreciate any suggestions.

Welcome. It would help us greatly if you updated your profile on this site so we can advise how best to proceed if you have a gas or diesel pusher. When you say mountains it really comes down to which way you go and what you feel comfortable with. I always say be conservative and go slow especially since you are new coach owners. The other rule of thumb is to be going the speed you want to descend at the top of the hill because then it is much harder to slow down if you are going faster than your planned descent speed.
If it was me, I would come straight down I 5 all the way to Bakersfield and then take 58 across through Tehachapi and then south on the 15 to the 215 to the 10 and then the 10 to Phoenix. There are some hills with a 6% grade but nothing too bad along the route but there is not a really flat route you could take.

Good luck and enjoy the drive.

Thank you so much! I'll add our coach info. Just new to the group and trying to navigate around.

Latest resources

Back